What is the most annoying thing about your fishtank?

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Need to make sure that the airline is secured to the Comline ® Foamer 9001.040 inside the skimmer and that to the muffler correctly.
https://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebrauchsanleitungen/x9001.8888.pdf

2 Use my glass cleaning magnet before Julian started making that clip. Tangs will alway pull the nori off them I now use INNOVATIVE MARINE GOURMET grazer
I have several of them and rotate them in and out of the tank. never want to keep a magnet in the tank all the time

looks really cool! I just use a rock and some rubber bands. I might look into that grazer. What's the glass thickness rating?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Use my glass cleaning magnet before Julian started making that clip. Tangs will alway pull the nori off them I now use INNOVATIVE MARINE GOURMET grazer
That is a good route to go. I went with the 2 little fishies pouch feeders.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pouchfeeder-for-algae-and-frozen-foods-two-little-fishies.html

I picked up 4 packs of replacement pouches. Now, I load up 20+ pouches at a time and store them in an air tight bag. It's nice only having to deal with the dried algae sheets 1 or 2 times a month.

lejeune981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a thread to help the R2R community figure out solutions to these pesky problems all of us experience. It can be anything from a fish problem to a piece of equipment to some kind of unknown hitchhiker. Please include pics if you have them so we can help you figure out the best solution and hopefully learn something new in the process. I will start this thread out. I actually have 2 issues that have been bothering me lately.

1- I have a Tunze skimmer(9001) for my 45 JBJ nano tank. I love my skimmer. It works really well however, after running for a few days it starts to make a spitting sound. The best I can describe it is it sounds like I'm making popcorn. I'm not sure if something is getting inside of it or if it's a problem with air flow. The only temporary solution I found is when it starts making that sound I take the collection cup off and pour water from the tank down the inside of the skimmer and it helps for another 4-5 days. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar?

2- I recently purchased a two little fishies magnetic seaweed clip. I like the clip and so do my fish. What I am finding is that when I feed seaweed my Angel nips at the seaweed right near the base that holds the seaweed and it never fails but the seaweed always comes off the clip and I find it in the intake, my filter pad, or on my MP10. I fold the seaweed up into thirds when I put it on the clip, but that doesn't help. Has anyone else had this problem or know some kind of solution?
Sorry if it's been mentioned already.. I haven't read but a few of the other posts..

I feed sea weed almost the same way... I fold the piece into 3rds.. and put it in the clip... then I cut it into thin strips long ways... that way when the tangs or fox face grab it.. they only tear off a thin strip.. instead of the whole sheet..

Before I would cut it into strips.. they would end up tearing the nori off of the clip.. and once it was off the clip..and free floating around... they wouldn't touch it again..

Now when they tear off a thin strip.. it all gets eaten

lejeune981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most annoying thing for me currently, is that my fish seem to hate me. I have a yellow tang and pyramid butterfly who will not come out to eat until I go and sit across the room. They have both been in the tank a year or more.
My foxface was like that up untill a few weeks ago.. I have had it for 6 months or so.. it would always hide at feeding time..or when I came into the room... but then it discovered that the food I feed the other fish is yummy... and it went from pure herbivore to an omnivore over night.. and now is the most fierce fish at feeding time.. I can almost hand feed it!

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out the right water level for my first AIO, a JBJ! No such problems with my plain 20 long but I cannot find the right water level. What happens is the water level gets higher and higher in the front, and lower in theback even when its super full. When I take off the overflow box, water floods in and it like resets it. Happens like twice a week.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew12 I have my sheets cut up in a bag and just take them out open the grazer then back in the tank it goes for my crazy purple tang to eat.:)
looks really cool! I just use a rock and some rubber bands. I might look into that grazer. What's the glass thickness rating?
Don't see anything on IM site spec's http://www.innovative-marine.com/auqa-gadget/gourmet-grazer.html As their tanks are not super thick glass tanks their thickess glass tank is 15mm the INT 100.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Need to make sure that the airline is secured to the Comline [emoji768] Foamer 9001.040 inside the skimmer and that to the muffler correctly.
https://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebrauchsanleitungen/x9001.8888.pdf

I have several of them and rotate them in and out of the tank. never want to keep a magnet in the tank all the time

Yes, I do have one. Even though it does a good job keeping the seaweed from going everywhere in the tank, I would say the biggest drawback was the amount of seaweed that was wasted. The seaweed that gets trapped in between the grates. Also it stood out like a sore thumb on my JBJ 45. It is probably much less noticeable on a big tank.

The seaweed clip is smaller and more natural looking if I only control the seaweed from going everywhere. I will continue to play around with it until I find a solution.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that's very annoying. My wife would attest to this one. I live in a fairly small apartment so my tank is next to a nice piece of furniture so everytime I put my hand in the tank (as careful as I try to be) I end up dripping salt water onto the nice furniture which leads me to my next question.........

What is the best tool (like a grabber or some kind of tongs) I can purchase so I don't have my hand in the tank as much? Or even something so that I don't have to stick my whole arm in the tank. What works, how much does it cost, and where can I get one?

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that's very annoying. My wife would attest to this one. I live in a fairly small apartment so my tank is next to a nice piece of furniture so everytime I put my hand in the tank (as careful as I try to be) I end up dripping salt water onto the nice furniture which leads me to my next question.........

What is the best tool (like a grabber or some kind of tongs) I can purchase so I don't have my hand in the tank as much? Or even something so that I don't have to stick my whole arm in the tank. What works, how much does it cost, and where can I get one?
I use the Tunze tongs. They're good for most things, though the screws on them rust easy and I had to encase them in silicone. I've also heard some pretty good things about the eheim plant tongs.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-tongs-tunze.html
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eheim-plant-tongs.html

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank to small & I cant seem to keep pods in my tank/refugium, add them in & 2-3 days later Nadda. Have tried from 4 different places, may try @AlgeaBarn next.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a pic of what it would look like?
And how big or small of a piece are you starting out with.

Pics, a few days later. Sorry about that!

IMG_20180623_173344362-3006x4008.jpg
132514.jpeg

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae... gha. I'm running gfo. Everything is zero now I still have it. I've used a toothbrush removed 99% I'm lost for words

kristinarenee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a thread to help the R2R community figure out solutions to these pesky problems all of us experience. It can be anything from a fish problem to a piece of equipment to some kind of unknown hitchhiker. Please include pics if you have them so we can help you figure out the best solution and hopefully learn something new in the process. I will start this thread out. I actually have 2 issues that have been bothering me lately.

1- I have a Tunze skimmer(9001) for my 45 JBJ nano tank. I love my skimmer. It works really well however, after running for a few days it starts to make a spitting sound. The best I can describe it is it sounds like I'm making popcorn. I'm not sure if something is getting inside of it or if it's a problem with air flow. The only temporary solution I found is when it starts making that sound I take the collection cup off and pour water from the tank down the inside of the skimmer and it helps for another 4-5 days. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar?

2- I recently purchased a two little fishies magnetic seaweed clip. I like the clip and so do my fish. What I am finding is that when I feed seaweed my Angel nips at the seaweed right near the base that holds the seaweed and it never fails but the seaweed always comes off the clip and I find it in the intake, my filter pad, or on my MP10. I fold the seaweed up into thirds when I put it on the clip, but that doesn't help. Has anyone else had this problem or know some kind of solution?
I use this by innovative marine. No more nori floating around the tank. I love it.
Innovative Marine 939031 Auqa Gadget Gourmet Grazer Feeder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XLYJRCO?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

BroadBno615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diotoms. Got a light dusting on the rocks. And all OVER the sand. Makes my tank look soooooo gross

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back