What is this cleaner shrimp?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some cleaner shrimp in a month or two ago which have been fun additions to a tank with a bunch of shrimp already, but I haven't been able to get a convincing ID from browsing around. They are probably from the Gulf or the Caribbean Atlantic, I got them from reefcleaners, but while they have somewhat similar coloration to the spotted cleaner shrimp (Periclimenes yucatanicus), they critically don't have the spot (I think I have two males and two females, none show any large central spots), and while the coloration also seems to be similar to Bruun's cleaner shrimp (Urocaridella antonbruunii), they don't have the same long and slender body profile, which is reminiscent of the pedersoni cleaner shrimp.

As for behavior, they're pretty docile overall, they've gotten along with small fish, pederson cleaner shrimp, and sexy shrimp just fine. They appear to be cleaners (they will swim over to me when I show up at the tank). They go for the normal meaty shrimp food fare, and they are pretty strong/steady swimmers - when they swim over they look like little UAVs, not moving their main legs much and not being pushed around by the current much, whereas some other swimming shrimp look like they need a lot more effort to swim over. They stick more to the shadows/high walls of the tank than some shrimp, but they do still come out during the day.

Any idea who this is?
new cleaner shrimp.jpg

OP
OP
DaJMasta

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen it clean one, but I believe the fish in there are likely too small for it (masked gobies, sharknose goby, possum wrasse, tail spot blenny), but the swimming over to me behavior is the same as pederson shrimp or sharknose gobies, which are both cleaners.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a Urocaridella species shrimp. See Reefcleaners (second photo):

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a Urocaridella species shrimp. See Reefcleaners (second photo):
Urocaridella seems like a good guess to me (though there are a surprisingly large number of shrimp that look similar to this) - possibly the clear cleaner shrimp/red-white cleaner shrimp, Urocaridella antonbruunii?

OP
OP
DaJMasta

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be more a factor of the relative number of pics and reliability of them actually being the correct ID, but from the color I would guess the same, but at least some images of them have their arms swept forward and their carapace fairly thin, making them closer to a pederson shrimp in shape, whereas the guys I have are wider and thicker, closer to a peppermint shrimp but with a wider stance. The common name for Urocaridella - hovering shrimp - would describe their behavior very well, though.

For size reference, these are somewhere around a small to medium peppermint shrimp, with a length up to about 3cm and a total width (legs included) of 2-2.5cm. I think the males are just like 30% smaller, as I've got two of the larger ones and two smaller ones, though I haven't seen eggs obviously yet.

Another maybe distinguishing feature could be their 'idle animation'. These guys keep their claws relatively together and move them in a figure eight pattern.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Urocaridella antonbruunii.

Looks like whats sometimes listed and sold as 'bruun's cleaner' to me. I rarely see them in WYSIWYG offers.

Last edited:
Back