What is this large worm on my Frogspawn

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jordxn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Frogspawn hasn’t opened a few weeks and found this after a dip



IMG_8777.jpeg

IMG_8778.jpeg
 
Not opening might be due to other reasons. There is barely no meat on the side which is a concern. The small tube worm wouldn’t be the main troublemaker
 
Yeah you have no tissue left on your torch. I suspect you have euphyllia eating flatworms.. You can see them in the day, but I think they’re more active at night in terms of moving around.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I second Mr. Mojos identification and share his opinion that the tube worm (probably Serpulidae sp. or Sabellidae sp. based on what the tube is made out of) is harmless.

Have you observed any mucus on the coral since it started retracting? Have you seen it actively lose polyps?

Parasites like Reefverse suggested are a possibility, but an infection is also possible. Too much (or too little) flow or light can weaken the coral and kill it over time.

How does it look like from above? Are there polyps left? Is there any mucus?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new