What is this?

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a piece of rock with about four mushrooms on it and it had one of these… About a half inch wide… Fast forward six months I now just noticed there’s about 45 of them throughout the tank exactly the same size and color all about a half inch wide Any clue? Good or bad?

87AB7724-D1B5-4985-979F-D5C025C77488.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojano anemone probably. Pest. Beautiful but they spread fast and sting things. Sometimes you can suck them up with a turkey baster and remove them.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little suckers are fast. They sucked into rock fast. Any other ideas on how to get rid of them ?

I prefer a non-chemical approach myself. I had them when my tank was young, so what I did was remove the rock with them and hit them with boiling water. Used a turkey baster. This destroys all tissue so they do not multiply. If you have corals or mushrooms near them it may be more difficult. Another way is to inject them in the mouth with vinegar or lemon juice, but you need to be accurate with a syringe.

#reefsquad, any other ideas?

OP
OP
phil bevilacqua

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a non-chemical approach myself. I had them when my tank was young, so what I did was remove the rock with them and hit them with boiling water. Used a turkey baster. This destroys all tissue so they do not multiply. If you have corals or mushrooms near them it may be more difficult. Another way is to inject them in the mouth with vinegar or lemon juice, but you need to be accurate with a syringe.

#reefsquad, any other ideas?
Will the lemon juice hurt the tank?

OP
OP
phil bevilacqua

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get to them with lemon juice. I tried. Any other ideas ? I was able to get one. But can reach others with it. And they are low on rocks and can’t remove

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a proble and you need to nip them in the bit fast they can spread to your plumbing also so you need to get them quick or you could lose the fight

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can you gotta watch them it was just a option since you can’t reach the ones lower in the tank. You might have to pull your rocks out and get rid of them that way befor they get crazy. You got a couple of full tank shots we can see

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian’s thing and some kalk paste, I just went on a mojano murder spree myself. The Julian’s thing should help you reach the ones near the bottom. I also use it for feeding corals and nems when it’s not being used as a murder weapon;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back