WHAT IS THIS!?

matty1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what this is? Best way I can describe it is its like a feather duster but without a hard shell around the body, and instead of feathers it’s black worms!

Attachments

• IMG_6826.MOV
    7 MB
OP
OP
M

matty1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what this is? Best way I can describe it is its like a feather duster but without a hard shell around the body, and instead of feathers it’s black worms!

Attachments

• 5FFB56AC-6C3A-4FB2-A46A-F77D926B52B1.jpeg
    5FFB56AC-6C3A-4FB2-A46A-F77D926B52B1.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 70

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has a feather-duster like tube at the base and/or (or for if you can't see the base) an inner layer of tentacles too, I'd guess a "purple tube anemone" (tube nems aren't real nems - they are Ceriantharians; members of the taxonomic family "Cerianthidae") of some kind - possibly Cerianthus membranaceus.

If it is Cerianthus membranaceus, these guys eat little fish, pods, etc. - so they're not exactly reef safe, but they are pretty cool.

OP
OP
M

matty1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has a feather-duster like tube at the base and/or (or for if you can't see the base) an inner layer of tentacles too, I'd guess a "purple tube anemone" (tube nems aren't real nems - they are Ceriantharians; members of the taxonomic family "Cerianthidae") of some kind - possibly Cerianthus membranaceus.

If it is Cerianthus membranaceus, these guys eat little fish, pods, etc. - so they're not exactly reef safe, but they are pretty cool.
Amazing, thank you for the response. I picked it up at the LFS at the weekend and wanted to know some more about it. It kind of looks like some sort of dark spell out of Harry Potter. Hopefully will settle in nicely!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing, thank you for the response. I picked it up at the LFS at the weekend and wanted to know some more about it. It kind of looks like some sort of dark spell out of Harry Potter. Hopefully will settle in nicely!
Happy to help. Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's cool-looking, but in future, you might want to find out what something is before buying it. It's really best to do your research before buying an animal, as there are many things that are hard to keep or will be incompatible with your current livestock, and not even knowing the name makes that difficult.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does look amazing and concur with the guesstimate of what it is

and as above, and with a few years and 4 tanks running when I am I a shop, my iPhone is my best friend - useful in ID'ing strange critters, or rare fish, and even after I ask the attendant, I check sites, this one included, to make sure I know what I am getting myself into.

Critter may need a set of tank parameters that I just can't supply for it due to maturity of the system, light, or co-habitants

good luck with "tube" anenome though - hope you are both happy - smile

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back