What is variance on the AI Nero pumps?

BRS

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
I have 2 neros - a 5 and a 3 - and in the random wave mode, there is a setting called variance.

The app says variance simulates a high or low energy reef, but idk what that means really. If my min power was 10% and max power 50% — what would the difference be between none, medium, high variance? Would the pump still be Random but favor values on the higher range?

CORAL MANIA After Sale

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
I have 2 neros - a 5 and a 3 - and in the random wave mode, there is a setting called variance.

The app says variance simulates a high or low energy reef, but idk what that means really. If my min power was 10% and max power 50% — what would the difference be between none, medium, high variance? Would the pump still be Random but favor values on the higher range?
Not sure as I don't run the variance mode either I'm going to be watching this post to find out though is I have a AI nero 05... hope some 1 knows... awsome powerful little power head super low profile.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
I was hoping it meant that higher variance would change its percentage more frequently with a wider range than lower variance. I wouldn’t understand why it would favor the high or low if we are setting our desired percentages anyways.

But I think you are right. I think it just stays in the higher end of your percentages or lower end depending on what variance you choose.

I wasn’t sure so I just kept mine in the wave mode but set the child at 160 degrees to try and make the waves hit randomly.

OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
I was hoping it meant that higher variance would change its percentage more frequently with a wider range than lower variance. I wouldn’t understand why it would favor the high or low if we are setting our desired percentages anyways.

But I think you are right. I think it just stays in the higher end of your percentages or lower end depending on what variance you choose.

I wasn’t sure so I just kept mine in the wave mode but set the child at 160 degrees to try and make the waves hit randomly.
I thought it would mean the variance would be more rapid like you said where it would change the value more frequently but there is a “none” option which has me confused? My guess Is “none” is complete randomness then?

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Following. I assumed it meant a higher variance in change also but no idea

I do love the pump but is a little loud in the upper percentages of power, I’m wondering if you all are getting that too?

Corals.com

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
So I am away from my tank right now so I can’t bring up the flow, but doesn’t that program make you select the max and min flow % and then the variance of low to max. My understanding is that low mean it makes less flow changes between your min and max. The high variance would be more like a rapid roller coaster between your min and max with likely more rapid shifts.
That’s just what I interpreted and when I was playing with them that’s what I thought I was seeing. I watched the flow meter as well so I could see the variance change

OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score

I do love the pump but is a little loud in the upper percentages of power, I’m wondering if you all are getting that too?
Mine is silent too but then again I only run at like 20% max lol

OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
So I am away from my tank right now so I can’t bring up the flow, but doesn’t that program make you select the max and min flow % and then the variance of low to max. My understanding is that low mean it makes less flow changes between your min and max. The high variance would be more like a rapid roller coaster between your min and max with likely more rapid shifts.
That’s just what I interpreted and when I was playing with them that’s what I thought I was seeing. I watched the flow meter as well so I could see the variance change
I thought that too but the controller has a “none” setting for variance which I don’t really get? Is there an AI person on this forum we could @ and ask? Lol

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score

No noise issues with mine at 100%

Avast
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Just an update: I emailed AI and asked what the heck variance was -- this was their response

The variance setting controls the amount of flow fluctuation between your min and max flow settings that you have chosen for a particular mode setting. This will determine how fast the pump alternates from your preset 4% flow up to the max 20% flow and vice versa.

So it sounds like it is used to determine how quickly the flow changes? Lower variance, less changes -- higher variance, more rapid changes? I am still not sure what the "none" mode does though

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Just an update: I emailed AI and asked what the heck variance was -- this was their response

So it sounds like it is used to determine how quickly the flow changes? Lower variance, less changes -- higher variance, more rapid changes? I am still not sure what the "none" mode does though
Yea none makes no sense

OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Yea none makes no sense
ahh you know what -- maybe none is a smooth wave? Like 1sec/1% (so to go from 4%min to 50%/max it would take 46seconds and then another 46 seconds to go from 50% back down to 4%?) So maybe "none" makes it a sine wave?

The the variance makes it more jumpy as it goes between the min/max range and still a 'sine' wave but it is not a smooth transition, it is more random and jumpy?

BRS

How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank?

Votes: 94 25.1%

Votes: 66 17.6%

Votes: 68 18.1%

Votes: 58 15.5%

Votes: 27 7.2%
  • 5+

Votes: 61 16.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online