What is wrong with my CBB's gill?!?

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered trying an extended freshwater bath using tapwater? Tapwater contains Chlorine and possibly other disinfectants. My guess is that the otherwise healthy CBB would hold up to a properly prepared tapwater bath better than whatever is in his gill. I once cured an otherwise healthy Regal Angelfish of a bad case of pop eye with this method. Popeye is usually a bacterial infestation. Freshwater baths are not indicated for bacterial diseases. However, my thinking was that by using tapwater, I incorporate the tapwater’s disinfecting properties. It took four baths but I saw marked improvement after each bath. Something to consider

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you considered trying an extended freshwater bath using tapwater? Tapwater contains Chlorine and possibly other disinfectants. My guess is that the otherwise healthy CBB would hold up to a properly prepared tapwater bath better than whatever is in his gill. I once cured an otherwise healthy Regal Angelfish of a bad case of pop eye with this method. Popeye is usually a bacterial infestation. Freshwater baths are not indicated for bacterial diseases. However, my thinking was that by using tapwater, I incorporate the tapwater’s disinfecting properties. It took four baths but I saw marked improvement after each bath. Something to consider
I'm considering a fw dip but not with tap water

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this has been said, so maybe just to reiterate for emphasis: have some well aerated warm tank water ready to put him in when you're done, so that he can recover from the clove oil. I wouldn't just drop him back into the tank directly, lest he get sucked into a vortech.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sure this has been said, so maybe just to reiterate for emphasis: have some well aerated warm tank water ready to put him in when you're done, so that he can recover from the clove oil. I wouldn't just drop him back into the tank directly, lest he get sucked into a vortech.
Right, that was my plan.

New video, some good shots of it near the end. It's got like a weird hole in it.

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, that was my plan.

New video, some good shots of it near the end. It's got like a weird hole in it.

I feel like lending you my pain in the butt skunk cleaner shrimp. This guy thinks hes a brain surgeon and tries to clean everything. The rocks, the fish's gills, my hands. He's really big too.

I banned him into the frag tank because he thought he could perform surgery on my scolys and tube anemones that were feeding.

There is something definately in there. I hope its an external parasite. That would be the easiest. I hope it isn't an internal growth like a tumor. If it was my beloved fish, I would go down swinging. and do anything I could. The worst is when you wake up with a dead fish you've had for a long time. The last time that happened it was with my 17 year old clownfish marty.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel like lending you my pain in the butt skunk cleaner shrimp. This guy thinks hes a brain surgeon and tries to clean everything. The rocks, the fish's gills, my hands. He's really big too.

I banned him into the frag tank because he thought he could perform surgery on my scolys and tube anemones that were feeding.
I'd totally take you up on that, just be sure to purchase a cleaner shrimp life insurance policy lol

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd totally take you up on that, just be sure to purchase a cleaner shrimp life insurance policy lol
He did real good gill work. My Willie the Copperband would literal stay on his side, using his fins to maintain horizontal position to stay as immobile as possible, (although alot of times he just laid down at the front door of Mr Clean's little clinic he opened up next to Rosey the rosebubble anemone, much to the annoyance of Marty the clownfish.) Mr Clean would get right to work, literally walked on top of Willie, shoving his claws inside Willie's gills like a madman. Oddly, Willie kept the gill open as wide as possible. It was the funniest thing I saw. This would go on for at least a minute. Willie wouldn't move until Mr Clean scampered off of him to go find a new patient.

Unfortunately, my Canon Elph Camera I had when I had them all in my 40B tank fell in the tank a few days later. I lost a lot of good reef photos! Argh. My youtube video doesn't show Mr Clean, only Willie and his fishie friends.

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could do both of those (not sure about at the same time?) but I question if it'll do anything...
Not at the same time. If you wanted to try the prazi parasite and copper,
I'd do prazi treatment first, replace QT water and then do the copper treatment.

If its a parasite, maybe it'll kill or weaken it.
This assuming its a parasite and not like brain cancer tumor or something LoL

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering a fw dip but not with tap water

Actually, there are some very good reasons to use dechlorinated tap water. No bacteria, you can adjust for temperature immediately, and in most regions, it has much better pH control than RODI does.

If you use RODI, you need to warm it up and add a pinch of bicarb to raise the pH.

Jay

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the CBB's condition now? Still exhibiting natural behaviour?
I have a warm spot for CBB's so your thread particularly gained my attention.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got some really good video and stills of it today. At 4pm I plan do FW dip it to see if any parasites come off.

(slow-mo & 4k shows a lot!)
Screenshot_20220216-130121.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220216-130029.png
    Screenshot_20220216-130029.png
    566.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20220216-125952.png
    Screenshot_20220216-125952.png
    605.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20220216-125926.png
    Screenshot_20220216-125926.png
    742.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20220216-125908.png
    Screenshot_20220216-125908.png
    689.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20220216-125822.png
    Screenshot_20220216-125822.png
    601.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20220216-125753.png
    Screenshot_20220216-125753.png
    551.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20220216-125738.png
    Screenshot_20220216-125738.png
    635.5 KB · Views: 54

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, when you do the FW dip, use tap water for it. The chlorine should kill most bacteria, and maybe the parasite as well

If the chlorine can harm the parasite, then it will harm the poor fish.
Chlorine is not the reason reefers do FW dips. Its the the rapid change in osmotic pressure. Fish can tolerate it to a very limited degree but the osmotic shock can burst the body of small external parasites that lack highly developed osmoregulation abilities.

This is a subjective opinion. Clove oil has been used to safely sedate fish for decades with minimal stress. I think sedation is less stressful to the CBB than exposing it to osmotic shock, especially one with a respiratory issue. (i.e. unknown object in gill). Maybe anti parasite meds is another option, but we aren't even sure if it's a parasite or not.

Sedation is primarily to actually see what that thing is. It's clearly a foreign object or abnormal growth. If it's a foreign object. I vote to get it out. If its an abnormal growth, then lets hope the CBB can live with it. Not sure about further options with the former conclusion.

Its just an opinion. And I'm just a home grown reefer. I'm not a professional vet. Just honestly trying to help.

Last edited:

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back