OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, there are some very good reasons to use dechlorinated tap water. No bacteria, you can adjust for temperature immediately, and in most regions, it has much better pH control than RODI does.

If you use RODI, you need to warm it up and add a pinch of bicarb to raise the pH.

Jay

I trust Jay on this subject. I will be doing a tap water fw dip that I added PRIME to. That will dechlorinate the water but leave the other benefits in it. I am not going to use clove oil yet - if this is a parasite it is likely to come off in a FW dip (which is easy to perform) and no oil is needed. If it does not come off I then need to decide to either remove it or let it grow on there and hope the fish can survive w it. I have not seen him breathing harder than normal (including previous to this showing up), his behavior has not changed including eating. So I am not in a rush to sedate and remove...yet.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh ok, I didnt know that chlorine would hurt the fish, mb
It doesn’t hurt the fish in this application, where the fish is only exposed for a very short period of time. The main reason we don’t use it is because it kills the beneficial bacteria. In addition, chlorine dissipates out of solution in 24 hours, making the water distilled. I cured a 5-inch Regal Angelfish of pop-eye with four freshwater baths using tapwater, prepared properly, once every other day. The chlorine killed the bacterial infestation in the fish’s eye.

Last edited:

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say that? In person it looks exactly the same as the last few days (no changes)
The red spot which is beneath the pectoral fin was not there previously. That is a hemorrhage.

1645049584544.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anything that can be used as sedation, can be used for euthanization.
The instructions are safe values regarding timing for estimation of fish weight to dose ratio until sedation. Stop the dosage as soon as you see the fish tip over to the side and immobile, allowing you to handle him for further observation.

I only suggested this because it's something I'd do myself (and have done) given @Biff0rz circumstance. Instead of worrying about it everyday whether or not the CBB's condition will deteriotate.

Or I'd feel bad knowing I could have at least tried something spending $10 on a fish worth ten times that value, aside from sentimental value. He's had the fish for over a year and can hand feed him.

I mentioned earlier to try a cleaner shrimp in a QT tank away from the trigger fish, or copper as @SlugSnorter ( LoL do you really snort slugs? How is the experience?) suggested before trying the sedation method. Remember the sedation is primarily for observation, and potential removal, because it certainly seems like a foreign object.

But I would do something, anything proactive, anything rather than just wait. I don't like waiting in such circumstance worrying about a sentimental fish that I can hand feed.

It also helps you to learn about fish and potentially grow wiser in the hobby.
Curious are you sure the meine dose is the same as fw?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
From the onset, I suspected Isopod and am positive there is one or similar.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back