What is wrong with my CBB's gill?!?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,glad to hear some hope here...
i am still thinking cyst/tumor, popped and drained,
the blood will follow "mucus" hopefully seal back up quick .
may come back,maybe not.
hopefully like an abcess tooth on a human.
following, and best wishes... :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do isopods 'pop'??
cymothoid isopods live off the mucus within the fish’s mouth. The mouth parts and legs of all these isopods are well adapted for clinging to the host. Assuming this was what I suspected it could be.
A freshwater dip generally causes them to dislodge.
Can they explode, never heard of that but if they overfeed, it seems possible as they are similar to a pillbug

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cymothoid isopods live off the mucus within the fish’s mouth. The mouth parts and legs of all these isopods are well adapted for clinging to the host. Assuming this was what I suspected it could be.
Can they explode, never heard of that but if they overfeed, it seems possible as they are similar to a pillbug
So if it popped is that a good thing? Are they able to reproduce or is the fish in the clear if it can heal up and the isopod is dead? (Assuming it is/was an isopod)

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea he was in a fw dip for 5m and nothing came off. I don't know what a pillbug is but I literally heard a loud pop when this happened.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So if it popped is that a good thing? Are they able to reproduce or is the fish in the clear if it can heal up and the isopod is dead? (Assuming it is/was an isopod)
if it was an isopod and it popped, that would be good. There is tissue of some sort hanging. Would love to see/hear it dislodged as im sure its contributing to a faster breathing rate

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,glad to hear some hope here...
i am still thinking cyst/tumor, popped and drained,
the blood will follow "mucus" hopefully seal back up quick .
may come back,maybe not.
hopefully like an abcess tooth on a human.
following, and best wishes... :)
I'm with you on this one. The idea that an isopod would eat too much and pop... Well that doesn't make much sense to me. I'm no isopod expert though. Maybe someone here is.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm with you on this one. The idea that an isopod would eat too much and pop... Well that doesn't make much sense to me. I'm no isopod expert though. Maybe someone here is.
i am not either, just hoping for a good ending here... ;)

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True! I would keep a look out for infection, i think I read something about seachem stress guard on humble fish being a good anti-septic for open wounds.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes any guidance would be welcome at this point - I have a hospital tank ready to go, just need a treatment plan.
I'm thinking back to any time I've ever actually HEARD an animal outside an aquarium - all I can think of is snapping/mantis shrimp and then when one fish bites something. Hearing an isopod pop just isn't in my realm of possibility. I think the trigger bit at it.

With large isopods, you can always see the body segment. I haven't seen that in any pictures, so that's why I haven't gone down that route. Isopods are also a lot rarer than gill tumors are in my experience....and always on freshly caught fish. The only butterflyfish I've seen with them was in the Bahamas, and it was the external species.

Jay

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking back to any time I've ever actually HEARD an animal outside an aquarium - all I can think of is snapping/mantis shrimp and then when one fish bites something. Hearing an isopod pop just isn't in my realm of possibility. I think the trigger bit at it.

With large isopods, you can always see the body segment. I haven't seen that in any pictures, so that's why I haven't gone down that route. Isopods are also a lot rarer than gill tumors are in my experience....and always on freshly caught fish. The only butterflyfish I've seen with them was in the Bahamas, and it was the external species.

Jay
I just don't know why the trigger would bite at it (thanks Mr trigger?). The trigger is a blue jaw and 1/3 the size of the cbb. They get along, the trigger tends to just eat food lol. I've heard mantis shrimp and the grunting of angels. I've also heard my trigger make a biting noise when going after nori on the clip. The sound was a little different but I was certainly shocked by the sound.. I wish I was recording it.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't know why the trigger would bite at it (thanks Mr trigger?). The trigger is a blue jaw and 1/3 the size of the cbb. They get along, the trigger tends to just eat food lol. I've heard mantis shrimp and the grunting of angels. I've also heard my trigger make a biting noise when going after nori on the clip. The sound was a little different but I was certainly shocked by the sound.. I wish I was recording it.

Oh I 100% think a trigger would chow down on any small shrimpy (ok, perhaps isopod in this case IF it's an isopod).

Still wondering if this is a cyst/tumor that ruptured, and if so, if any prophylactic abx should be used.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO - its too bad there are not fish veterinarians out there. Based on pictures, etc - I thought it might be - but probably not be an isopod. for various reasons. In this case if an isopod was 'full' - it would not explode - but rather disconnect, wait , and go to another host when needed. So the question - I didn't see in the video - the burst - it could have been a tumor/abscess that burst on its own. I might watch though for other fish having issues.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m of the opinion that the trigger spotted the bulging thing, isopod or abscess, and attacked it as though it were a foreign body (food) in the tank, and his bite down popped it. I’m also of the opinion that the wound will heal itself provided it doesn’t get infected. That should be your primary concern. But what do I know.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation to use tapwater with your freshwater bath would have worked in both instances. It would’ve worked against the abscess, if the abscess was an infection, and it would’ve worked against the isopod. The chlorine content of the tapwater would’ve been much more deadly against the isopod and/or infection than against the fish. But what do I know. Btw. If it was an infected abscess that popped, you already have a problem there with infection. Act accordingly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far, so good. Swelling seems to have gone down a bit and his breathing has become more regulated. I snapped a couple of pics. He also no longer had the redness around his fins.

Attachments

• PXL_20220308_014201464.jpg
    PXL_20220308_014201464.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20220308_014217524.jpg
    PXL_20220308_014217524.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20220308_014228126.jpg
    PXL_20220308_014228126.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20220308_014228897.jpg
    PXL_20220308_014228897.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20220308_014230744.jpg
    PXL_20220308_014230744.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 41

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back