B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any further update?
I literally just checked this page to see if I had missed an update as well. HAHAH would love to know how it;s going :)
Thanks for caring everyone! He's exactly the same, sadly. I was hoping the dip would remove what would be a parasite but it's the same. Through further conversations (dms) it's likely this is a boil or tumor. Puncturing it with a hypodermic needle will likely kill the fish. So, I'm sort of stuck on what to do next. The fish is still behaving normally and eating with urgency. I'm leaving for the weekend so I don't want to do anything this week. When I come back I might do the clove dip to get a closer look, but, even if I do since is most likely nothing I can do... I'm not sure what good it will do other than tick the fish off.

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for caring everyone! He's exactly the same, sadly. I was hoping the dip would remove what would be a parasite but it's the same. Through further conversations (dms) it's likely this is a boil or tumor. Puncturing it with a hypodermic needle will likely kill the fish. So, I'm sort of stuck on what to do next. The fish is still behaving normally and eating with urgency. I'm leaving for the weekend so I don't want to do anything this week. When I come back I might do the clove dip to get a closer look, but, even if I do since is most likely nothing I can do... I'm not sure what good it will do other than tick the fish off.
Go to a fish vet, it will be pretty expensive tho.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
reach out to the SHEDD aquarium ???

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you recommend one near south east Michigan? Cost doesn't matter to me.

There aren't any vets in SE Michigan that I know of. Most fish vets work primarily on koi or food fishes.

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but in many cases, there just isn't going to be a solution. Even in human medicine, that's often the case, and even more so with fish.

There is a tumor that goldfish get, caused by a virus. I've had vets do surgery on those. Technically, they can debulk the tumor, but it always comes back. We had a Talma butterflyfish that had a goiter that grew on a stalk and was hanging out of the fish's gills. Our vet removed it, but it grew back as well.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There aren't any vets in SE Michigan that I know of. Most fish vets work primarily on koi or food fishes.

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but in many cases, there just isn't going to be a solution. Even in human medicine, that's often the case, and even more so with fish.

There is a tumor that goldfish get, caused by a virus. I've had vets do surgery on those. Technically, they can debulk the tumor, but it always comes back. We had a Talma butterflyfish that had a goiter that grew on a stalk and was hanging out of the fish's gills. Our vet removed it, but it grew back as well.

Jay
I believe there are exotic Vets in Ann Arbor. Whether they will also do 'fish' IDK. You might try Michigan state.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok.... Major update and it's NOT good. Up until tonight he's been acting normal, eating, swimming etc. Tonight I went to feed him. As he was eating I was watching him. I heard a loud POP and he was startled. Then I noticed what looked like white smoke coming from his gill! I went to take a look and the dang thing popped! I can actually see it coming out of his gill. I got some video, it's uploading now. He continued to eat but then stopped eating which is not normal. You'll see him breathing super hard in the video...it hasn't stopped and he's sort of just chilling near the sand. I also caught him laying on a rock, my guess is he's going to pass soon/tonight. This sucks. Even if I went to try and remove it he would have died.

Cc @Jay Hemdal

Attachments

• PXL_20220306_021349370.jpg
    PXL_20220306_021349370.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20220306_021430242.jpg
    PXL_20220306_021430242.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This was literally right after it happened. I pulled my camera out and started to record. You can see the dust coming out of his gill. I then moved his feeder to get a better shot of the thing popped and you can see his fast breathing and it coming out of the gill. My daughter is crying her eyes out, so is the wife. this sucks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok.... Major update and it's NOT good. Up until tonight he's been acting normal, eating, swimming etc. Tonight I went to feed him. As he was eating I was watching him. I heard a loud POP and he was startled. Then I noticed what looked like white smoke coming from his gill! I went to take a look and the dang thing popped! I can actually see it coming out of his gill. I got some video, it's uploading now. He continued to eat but then stopped eating which is not normal. You'll see him breathing super hard in the video...it hasn't stopped and he's sort of just chilling near the sand. I also caught him laying on a rock, my guess is he's going to pass soon/tonight. This sucks. Even if I went to try and remove it he would have died.

Cc @Jay Hemdal
Knew it !! Had to be isopod as suspected. As CBB fed, so did the critter.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How would this be an isopod? It's still there and 'shredded'. It also wouldn't come off in a dip. Can you explain a bit more than 'told you so'?
Pod like Linoneca ovalis was always my suspicion.
Freshwater dip should have caused it to fall out or off . Not hearing for a while, assumed this was erradicated.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pod like Linoneca ovalis was always my suspicion.
Freshwater dip should have caused it to fall out or off . Not hearing for a while, assumed this was erradicated.
Fw dip did nothing. Can you explain a bit more? You have left a lot of quick comments but nothing in depth as to why or how or anything that'll help me really. If you feel this is an isopod, what can I do RIGHT NOW to help my fish? Another dip? Physically try and remove the thing? Please....a bit more would be very useful and appreciated.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did some night time video hunting. It was hard to get some good shots but you can really see how blood red it is now, and his skin that's shredded off. Odd thing tho, he's acting a bit normal and pod hunting, even caught that on video.

Thinking back to when it popped my trigger was right next to him and it looks like he bit at him. Vetteguy - do pods ever decide to just come off on their own? If so, maybe it came off and the trigger ate it?!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back