What is your job/occupation

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to run an online English school for Chinese students with my friend, until we got burned by 2 of our partners. Took website and systems admin away from us, all the while pretending they were helping us with the tech side because neither of us are good with tech.

Not been doing anything else since May and honestly sick of many people these days.
Woah, that’s terrible. Do you not have any legal recourse?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The situation’s weird. One of the business partners is the mom of one of my friend’s students. The other is a friend of hers that my friend doesn’t know too well. I’m a Canadian citizen and my friend’s British, both of the women are mainland Chinese. My friend chose not to pursue legal recourse for reasons unknown (he can be a bit too forgiving at times), and even if we did the system’s stacked against us. China’s a Communist dictatorship after all with no independent judicial system. The odds will be stacked against us to begin with.

We started an online English school that was meant to cover everything from conversational English to the kind of English needed to prep Chinese kids for school in England. Quite a few of the students were introduced to us by the mom.

We were backstabbed. Initially there was a period where the two business partners started being really vague about certain things, we thought they were probably doing other stuff as this was a side venture for them. Then, one day, we found out we were no longer able to access the site we had built (with the help of a web designer).

No contracts or legal protection was set up because everything was so new, plus the online and transnational nature of our business meant that it would have been a huge hassle.

Last edited:

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The situation’s weird. One of the business partners is the mom of one of my friend’s students. The other is a friend of hers that my friend doesn’t know too well. I’m a Canadian citizen and my friend’s British, both of the women are mainland Chinese. My friend chose not to pursue legal recourse for reasons unknown (he can be a bit too forgiving at times), and even if we did the system’s stacked against us. China’s a Communist dictatorship after all with no independent judicial system. The odds will be stacked against us to begin with.

We started an online English school that was meant to cover everything from conversational English to the kind of English needed to prep Chinese kids for school in England. Quite a few of the students were introduced to us by the mom.

We were backstabbed. Initially there was a period where the two business partners started being really vague about certain things, we thought they were probably doing other stuff as this was a side venture for them. Then, one day, we found out we were no longer able to access the site we had built (with the help of a web designer).

No contracts or legal protection was set up because everything was so new, plus the online and transnational nature of our business meant that it would have been a huge hassle.
Sorry to hear that. What a frustrating situation. Best of luck to you.

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do nothing and love it.

I used to install and fix 911 telecommunications equipment.
I used to do the same. Loved doing it, but they wanted to move me to doing more radio stuff. I'm a telecom / network guy by trade, not radio. I left and still miss it. Good ol' Cassidian/AirBus

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an IT Program Manager for our Salesforce CRM / platform for the entire company. I also teach Project Management at a local University as an adjunct professor to help fund my reef habbits. :)

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a medic in the army. I served 11 years before being medically retired. Loved the job but loathed the management. Now I work in a doctors office as a medical assistant. It pays the bills for now. One day I'll finish college and get a job that affords all the fancy apex gear everyone has. Until then I'll keep my budget reef setup lol.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well last time I had replied to this thread a few years ago I managed an auto body shop. During COVID the owner of the shop decided it was a good time to retire, so I made the switch to the dark side and work as an insurance adjuster now. Super happy with my career move, much better work/home life balance.

iambes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rent out Marriott villas, mostly in Hawaii and Aruba ( certainly a weird year for vacation/travel... and everything else). Also help clients get value out of their timeshare ownership.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back