0   0   0
My trio
383EC533-D27D-4CF3-A80A-F6E8E8257F32.jpg

Matt32224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have some sps with your filefish. I also have an orange spotted file, which mercilessly picked at a millepora I tried. Does yours ever nip? How long has the fish been with the corals?
I see you have some sps with your filefish. I also have an orange spotted file, which mercilessly picked at a millepora I tried. Does yours ever nip? How long has the fish been with the corals?
I only have 1 Milli with him and it's there for him to nip at. I just got him today. Any suggestions of things you did when you got yours?

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 1 Milli with him and it's there for him to nip at. I just got him today. Any suggestions of things you did when you got yours?

Did you get him from DD?

If you did, from what I've experienced so far, you'll have good luck.

The main thing is to feed this fish CONSTANTLY. I may be a bit excessive, but I feed my fish about 7 times per day and am in the process of setting up an automated frozen food system that will feed the tank around 10 times for this fish. I will be keeping other finicky fish and non-photosynthetic corals as well, but I'm doing all this because of the purchase of the filefish. I'd also recommend trying different foods to see what your fish likes and go from there.

I say feed in small increments throughout the day because from what I've observed this fish really won't gorge itself. He's particular and methodical and starts to get 'bored' of the food after a short while. And unless you have a bare bottom on your tank he won't pick anything off the substrate, and will only go for what is in the water. Mine has been in an observation quarantine for the past two months I've had him with only a Helfrichi and a little masked goby as his tank mates. He will be introduced to the rest of the motley crew when the new tank is up. Sorry I can't give any observations on feeding / interaction with more aggressive tank mates as of yet!

Also, when feeding, I recommend putting the food in and then quickly vacating to a vantage point somewhere across the room/ behind a piece of furniture. This may seem silly, but they're shy fish and can get intimidated if you're hovering.

I hope that helps a bit! Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to give you any answers I may have, although I am in no way an expert!!

bluedevils6653

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my orange spotted filefish since february and I wouldnt call keeping her a success yet even after about 5 months but I have mine eating brine and mysis currently. I soak each in selcon as well and just recently I got her to take some nls pellets. She doesnt aggressively go after the pellets yet like she does the the brine and mysis but it is a step in the right direction. My advice is the same as maddlesrain is to feed constantly right off the bat. They will lose weight quickly they have small stomachs. Feed small amounts many times a day and make sure yours keeps on the weight. Depending on where you got yours if it was indeed from divers den I have read a lot of good experiences about their osff they have been sending out. Heres a pic of mine please excuse the dirty back glass lol.

Orange Spotted Filefish.JPG

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bluedevil6653 she's beautiful! How'd you introduce the pellets? Just add a few with each feeding? I'd love to get my boy on them!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hard to pick just one. My CBB, Beaker is probably the obvious choice both because of his beauty and his personality. Behind him would be my Quoyi Parrotfish and my Flame Wrasse.

Beaker taught most of my fish to eat out of my hand

My Quoy while he was in QT
Quoyi%204%201%20of%201_zpsmcq7kz0j.jpg

My Flame
Flame%20display2%201%20of%201_zpszf2p7tsc.jpg

bluedevils6653

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup you got it. i let them soak for a minute to soften them up for her. I drop them in with the mysis or brine and like I said she isnt "aggressively" feeding on them but she takes a few each feeding. I think softening them up a bit that really helps her eat them since her mouth is small. I did the same thing with my regal angel. He started off with brine and mysis and I slowly added pellets to each feeding and I have him aggressively eating pellets now too. I also think it helps that my other fish eat pellets so she sees the other fish eating them and is starting to recognize that pellets are in fact food lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hard to pick just one. My CBB, Beaker is probably the obvious choice both because of his beauty and his personality. Behind him would be my Quoyi Parrotfish and my Flame Wrasse.

Beaker taught most of my fish to eat out of my hand

My Quoy while he was in QT
Quoyi%204%201%20of%201_zpsmcq7kz0j.jpg

My Flame
Flame%20display2%201%20of%201_zpszf2p7tsc.jpg

Nice video and fish:)

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Regal Angel. It thinks it owns the tank, a CL Artisan II 70G. For the most part it has been a model fish. The only issue I had is it gained a taste for my Scoly:mad:

Angel1 Resize.jpg

Angle2 Resize.jpg
Nice looking Boss:D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back