What kind of aquascape is best for gobies/blennies?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're designing an aquascape with goby/blenny habitats in mind, what would it require? I do realize that there are some different types in these 2 groups that should be considered, so let's think through some of the differences and include all of them we can.

I know some are sand sifters, so obviously, sand in the proper grain size should be included if those guys are in the stock list. Not sure what accommodations would need to be given in the actual rock work for these guys?

For some of the ones that prefer barnacles, including some barnacles in the scape is a good idea.

What else?

#reefsquad

Photo by @VKP01
2.jpeg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies love :star-struck: barnacles. I find ledges, crevices and caves (particularly right above the sandbed) are a big attraction for gobies. Wherever they can just build on existing infrastructure seems to appeal to them.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blennies love :star-struck: barnacles. I find ledges, crevices and caves (particularly right above the sandbed) are a big attraction for gobies. Wherever they can just build on existing infrastructure seems to appeal to them.
Right!? I've been thinking that adding a few barnacles might be the best thing to do to give habitat space for blennies in a scape.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to have my base rocks with gaps below them, sort of like a tripod. Depending on the type of rock, you can use a chisel to carve some gaps at the bottom of larger rocks. This provides stability for the rockwork, but also provides caves at the bottom of the tank where these fish typically like to hang out. With or without sand this still works. I agree with the above comment to always place the rocks first, then add sand. If the rocks sit on top of existing sand, it will shift and possibly topple some rocks if they're not secured, or could accidentally crush a fish.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern, back when I picked up a Diamond Goby, was it undermining corals or rock structures. So what I did was build a short tunnel out of PVC and top it off with some rock.

1650399981666.png

This was buried in the sand:

1650400090732.png

Sure enough, he found the hole and moved right in. What amazed me was that he could turn around in the pipe. Sorry for the poor quality....moon lights with slow shutter speed.

1650400197096.png

If I had to do this all over again, I'd do a circular home with a tee as the opening.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies and gobies are awesome. Since I only have a 56 gallon tank and I like lots of fish Blennies and gobies are the way I accomplish that. Right now I have a barnacle blenny, a green citron goby, a midas blenny and a yellow watchman goby. I would like to get some more barnacle blennies as Barney is as cute as a button. He darts out of his co co worm tube at lightening speed to eat and is back in his tube in the blink of an eye.
I had some very cute gobies from KP Aquatics but I think my pistol shrimp picked them off one by one. Now that Rice Krispies, the pistol shrimp resides in the sump, I think I will order some more from KP Aquatics.

My tank has lots of rock with some of it down on the bottom glass but the sand has been removed by the shrimp. That makes for lots of hidey holes for gobies and blennies.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can still get your hands on some, Pukani rock is excellent for Blennies...especially Midas Blennies! There are many holes in this rock that allow for Blennies to hide within. I've seen some really nice aquascapes using barnacles as well that Blennies seem to like.

As for Gobies...I like to have rocks that have areas with space underneath of them. This allows the goby to find this pre-made cave system and utilize it rather than moving sand up the sides of rocks in order to create their own cave systems.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern, back when I picked up a Diamond Goby, was it undermining corals or rock structures. So what I did was build a short tunnel out of PVC and top it off with some rock.

1650399981666.png

This was buried in the sand:

1650400090732.png

Sure enough, he found the hole and moved right in. What amazed me was that he could turn around in the pipe. Sorry for the poor quality....moon lights with slow shutter speed.

1650400197096.png

If I had to do this all over again, I'd do a circular home with a tee as the opening.
I really like this idea!

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw some people mention barnacles… now I’m all about real coral and making it as natural a reef as possible, I’m in the middle of 310g build that will be a mixed reef. But I came across this stuff and was wondering if anyone had ever tried using this or stuff similar before and their thoughts on it? I’ve been trying to come up with ideas to hide my black center overflow because my tank has a blue background. Something different than going the GSP route. Thoughts??
325B1587-B1F3-4F33-AE15-9946D0C20431.png

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yellow watchman gobys also like barnacles? I wanted to add one sooner or later and a barnacle cluster looks great. But as far as I know the watchman is more comfy in sand?

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can still get your hands on some, Pukani rock is excellent for Blennies...especially Midas Blennies! There are many holes in this rock that allow for Blennies to hide within. I've seen some really nice aquascapes using barnacles as well that Blennies seem to like.

As for Gobies...I like to have rocks that have areas with space underneath of them. This allows the goby to find this pre-made cave system and utilize it rather than moving sand up the sides of rocks in order to create their own cave systems.
If you can't get real pukani, reefbuilders found a good synthetic alternative. their links are broken but it's called tropic eden morroca irregular. my engineer goby loves it. https://reefbuilders.com/2021/12/10/tropic-eden-pukani-rock-is-a-clone-of-the-real-thing/

for blennies, i'd get a small cluster of 3-4 barnacles for each blenny in your tank and keep them separate. they get very protective of their little bungalows and anything adjacent to them.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yellow watchman gobys also like barnacles? I wanted to add one sooner or later and a barnacle cluster looks great. But as far as I know the watchman is more comfy in sand?
in my experience, they prefer sand burrows. though i've never had a watchman/prawn goby without a pistol shrimp. so they may behave differently without a workhorse to build their caves for them :D.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my experience, they prefer sand burrows. though i've never had a watchman/prawn goby without a pistol shrimp. so they may behave differently without a workhorse to build their caves for them :D.
Nope, my watchman goby does not have a pistol shrimp but he still prefers the sand.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right!? I've been thinking that adding a few barnacles might be the best thing to do to give habitat space for blennies in a scape.
I would love to do a large dedicated barnacle and blenny tank. Then sit there and watch all their little heads pop in and out.

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to do a large dedicated barnacle and blenny tank. Then sit there and watch all their little heads pop in and out.
I've had that thought in the old archives for awhile now. If I did it, it would be have to be an lps lagoon so sick. But then how would I satisfy my stick addiction . That's it the gf n kids got 2 go turning their bedrooms into fishrooms

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies love :star-struck: barnacles...
Yep -- not part of my aquascape plan but bought a barnacle cluster on a whim and just threw it in the back of the tank -- still not sure where to fit it long term:

blenny_barnacle1.JPG

Prior to that, he had his favorite holes in my rock structure but now is ALWAYS in that ugly, out in no man's land, barnacle cluster ... ooops

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back