What kind of nem is this?

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7CE03603-92B1-4ACC-BE1C-E53F29277526.jpeg

I’m having a problem getting a picture of the foot at the moment, but this is its column. Does this help identify it?

The column isn't so clear cut. I still think it's sun anemone the fact that it's sandbed. Gig usually are on rock.

@gig 'em @D-Nak @Nemguy123 @OrionN @chizerbunoi thoughts guys?

OP
OP
AngelsNano

AngelsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The column isn't so clear cut. I still think it's sun anemone the fact that it's sandbed. Gig usually are on rock.

@gig 'em @D-Nak @Nemguy123 @OrionN @chizerbunoi thoughts guys?
It was attached to a rock, on the sand bed, but I have removed it from the tank and put it in a separate container temporarily. Once it settles down I may be able to get better pictures. I really appreciate your help with this. I had no idea that it could be such a problem.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, @Ron Reefman. We collected it in about 4' water off of Big Pine Key. There were actually two of them, about a foot apart, but we only took one. I think your hurricane theory may be spot on. I'd just love to know what it actually is. :)
I think you should notify USFWS and have them remove the second one. Introductions rarely turn out beneficial for the environment. Nice score!, btw.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sebae anemone

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7CE03603-92B1-4ACC-BE1C-E53F29277526.jpeg

I’m having a problem getting a picture of the foot at the moment, but this is its column. Does this help identify it?
That is a S. heliantus. The Atlantic Sun Anemone. Don't buy it.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S. helianthus is endemic to the Atlantic and does host clowns in the wild. However I have seen it host Maroon clowns in captivity which implies that other clowns could choose it for a home in captivity as well.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S. helianthus is endemic to the Atlantic and does host clowns in the wild. However I have seen it host Maroon clowns in captivity which implies that other clowns could choose it for a home in captivity as well.
I read clownfish are not found in Atlantic. Is the sun anemone found in other places than Atlantic?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This would be tough since there are no clownfish in the Atlantic or the Caribbean.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone! I’ve removed the nem from my tank. I believe the general consensus is that it is not safe to keep. Any ideas what I should do with it?
Trade it in for credit at the LFS, but don't let it go back into the wild.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in a nem only tank it won't host any clownfish species. If you really want a Caribbean anemone, it's better to get a condy that might host with a more 20% chance, and stick to rock/mini maxi which won't kill your fish.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trade it in for credit at the LFS, but don't let it go back into the wild.
Why
Even in a nem only tank it won't host any clownfish species. If you really want a Caribbean anemone, it's better to get a condy that might host with a more 20% chance, and stick to rock/mini maxi which won't kill your fish.
There were some post and videos of it hosting clownfish in captivity

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very rare for this type of anemone to host clownfish though. You have a big chance of the clown getting eaten. Let alone any other fish species that gets spooked into it would be diner. I'm glad the OP removed it.

@sprungson Not everyone is a crazy like you and me who wants to stuff every type of anemone into our tanks. :)

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very rare for this type of anemone to host clownfish though. You have a big chance of the clown getting eaten. Let alone any other fish species that gets spooked into it would be diner. I'm glad the OP removed it.

@sprungson Not everyone is a crazy like you and me who wants to stuff every type of anemone into our tanks. :)
I'm not crazy. I was just stating a fact and not condoning it. I wouldn't do it myself. Well maybe a little crazy. Runs to start a sun Anemone tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back