What micron and filter sock do you use?

Waballs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What micron and type of filter sock do you use and why? How long do you reuse them until you make rage decisio to pitch and replace with new?

Last edited:

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 micron felt from brs. Change 2x a week.

as for how long I use them, I have some over 6 years old. I have about 30 of them and wash them in the washing machine when I run out, I run a cycle with just bleach to clean out the washer first, then 2 cycles with just bleach and the socks, then 2 cycles with no bleach to rinse them. Air dry.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using it. So basically water comes straight down and it will go through two baffles with sponges filter. Then every week clean the sponges out with tank water. Also, use a small powerhead to stir up the detritus in the sump, then drain it out. 10-15% weekly.

on the other new set up, I am running filter cups stuff with filter fiber.Every week just toss it out and repeat.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What micron and type of filter sock do you use and why? How long do you reuse them until you make rage decisio to pitch and replace with new?
I use filter cups in place of socks and use fleece/fiber/pillow stuffing, I change fleece when the water level gets close to overflow. You can also put other types of media in the cups under the fleece. Never have to clean socks. you can replace fiber as often as you like, it is very cheap.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 micron felt from brs. Change 2x a week.

as for how long I use them, I have some over 6 years old. I have about 30 of them and wash them in the washing machine when I run out, I run a cycle with just bleach to clean out the washer first, then 2 cycles with just bleach and the socks, then 2 cycles with no bleach to rinse them. Air dry.
Boy, that is a lot of water waste. You live in Phoenix, do you have plenty of water down there? :) We are in a severe drought and the water level in Lake Mead is very low. I wish it would rain.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I now use mesh. Super easy to clean by hand in 2 mins

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 200 micron and change out only once a week . I used to change out twice a week but found that it wasn’t necessary after learning your tanks need in a couple years

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
225 micron filter mesh in my two tanks (65g 3.5 YO, 130g 6 months). They get rinsed weekly and bleached every 4 months or so, when I feel they need it. The skimmers take care of anything smaller or that overflows if they are all full (2 in the 65g, 4 in the 130g).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back