What online coral store is best?

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am trying to find a good, cheap, low shipping cost online coral shop. I have searched but I'm not sure if there is one out there. The best I have found is salt critters, but everything is always sold out. If there isn't one like that out there, tell me your suggestions. Thanks!

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion but like those are still like a hundred bucks. Is that just the norm? Because then I will just drive all the way to fish stores.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion but like those are still like a hundred bucks. Is that just the norm? Because then I will just drive all the way to fish stores.
Considering the amount it costs a seller to properly ship coral, you're not going to find cheap frags online unless you buy a lot at once... local fish stores, or better yet local reefers, will be your best bet.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Facebook, craigslist and offer up. Talk with other reefers. I found one person local that has more coral growing then any lfs I've been to by far. I get large frags sometimes small colonies for a fraction of any reef store. It may take time, but you can get lucky.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the marketplace here. Great prices for beautiful pieces. Just need tonwait until you see whatbyou like for the price you're willing to pay.

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Facebook, craigslist and offer up. Talk with other reefers. I found one person local that has more coral growing then any lfs I've been to by far. I get large frags sometimes small colonies for a fraction of any reef store. It may take time, but you can get lucky.
I have been looking at those sites. But the only problem is that I live in Wisconsin, and the market isn't big here. So most of the time I have to look for shipping options. But if you know any Wisconsin dealers, hit me up!

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at those sites. But the only problem is that I live in Wisconsin, and the market isn't big here. So most of the time I have to look for shipping options. But if you know any Wisconsin dealers, hit me up!
OK let me try to help out here. @Chad Chapman you can get a box full of quality coral shipped to your door for $150. I've never used him but dudes been on here forever. It really doesn't get much cheaper than that. I take it your not looking for designer sticks so maybe give him a try and as others said stay glued to the market.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought from tegridy reef on here he usually has like 30 to 40% deals going one time I got 19 corals for 150 bucks all huge frags little bit of aiptasia though just warning

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO online and cheap usually do not coexist for corals/fish. So far, I've only seen fishofhex sell relatively cheap corals but I haven't done any serious searching for online vendors. If your location is right and in the UK, most of the reefers here are US based so we only have experience in the US market.

Your best bet is hunting through your local reefing groups on facebook and finding the local importers. DFW, for example, has an airport that can support international freight so there are roughly 6+ importers I'm aware of with 3-4 that i've seen have very very reasonable prices.

You can also find local reefers as well who are either trading or selling their home grown frags.

LFS stores are hit or miss for me in terms of quality and cost. Usually its like 30-50$ for a frag of anything and often times their frag tanks act as "trading posts" for local reefers and are subject to a higher risk of getting pests like aptaisia or one of the harder to control algaes (bubble, cladophorisis, etc)

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO online and cheap usually do not coexist for corals/fish. So far, I've only seen fishofhex sell relatively cheap corals but I haven't done any serious searching for online vendors. If your location is right and in the UK, most of the reefers here are US based so we only have experience in the US market.

Your best bet is hunting through your local reefing groups on facebook and finding the local importers. DFW, for example, has an airport that can support international freight so there are roughly 6+ importers I'm aware of with 3-4 that i've seen have very very reasonable prices.

You can also find local reefers as well who are either trading or selling their home grown frags.

LFS stores are hit or miss for me in terms of quality and cost. Usually its like 30-50$ for a frag of anything and often times their frag tanks act as "trading posts" for local reefers and are subject to a higher risk of getting pests like aptaisia or one of the harder to control algaes (bubble, cladophorisis, etc)
I am looking at fishofhex and I don't see any shipping prices. How much for the U.S? Also it says within 72 hours, won't it die?

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used "Hey Dude Corals" don't know if he's still around but he's up in Wisconsin. Nice stuff last time I went there.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at fishofhex and I don't see any shipping prices. How much for the U.S? Also it says within 72 hours, won't it die?
Cost is around 50 bucks. I could see it when i do a checkout. But the specifics are here. I'm not sure where it says the 72 hours but the shipping itself is next day air.

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're at the mercy of shipping when purchasing online, the cheapest I have seen is $25 and only because I was in the same state. As far as cheap prices, A lot of the more well known and more expensive sites are factoring in their process whether that be QT'ing, and their process after fragging like ensuring the frag survives the cut and glue and etc.. Local is the way to go if that is available to you. Sometimes going with a group to buy a colony and fragging off of it is a more economical way to get the higher end sticks as long as you have someone who has the equipment and know how to frag safely. Hope that helps

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always loved Unique!

We also have some really nice stuff, but I still need to break out the "named" corals out, right now they're all just in "Acropora" for example... if only there were a lot more hours in a day lol

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never bought from them but Coral Cheap Skates is extremely cheap. Looks like very small frags but will grow out over time if you're not looking for insta reef. Not sure on quality, returns, DOA policy, or shipping.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit up the @A Reef Creation live sale this weekend for some of the best deals on the forum.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back