What order to add fish?

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon cube which has been cycling for about 4 months now.
I have had Clowns in it but unfortunately there was electrical current that seeped into the tank and I lost them
The tank has been fallow for about 45 days now and I have 2 new clowns which are in my 10 gallon QT tank waiting to be moved to the 40 gallon.

Once I move my Clowns to the 40 gallon I would like to work toward adding additional fish as well.
Here is my wish list, I am looking for advice on what order to add each type of fish as well as how many I should have total in a 40 gallon tank.
I will have a few soft corals as well at some point

Pajama Cardinal (3?)
Green Clown Goby (1)
Pink-stripped Wrasse (1)
Vanderbilt Chromis (3?)
Lawn Mower Blenny (once there is more algae)

I would also like to add an Engineer Goby which is currently in my sons tank.

Also, how long should my QT fallow before I QT new fish?

Last edited:

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to mean green clown goby, never heard of a green clown blenny. Blennies tend to fight with eachother unless given enough space.
I actually think you may be better off adding the clownfish towards the end, they can be quite a bit of a jerk sometimes.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably add the Chromis and blenny last - the others, as far as I'm aware, are pretty peaceful. Clown goby's likely to stay on the substrate / rocks - there might be a conflict with the blenny when you add that guy, but I'd still vote for goby first.

Note on the engineer goby - that guy can reach a pretty impressive size for a 30.

~B.

OP
OP
kimbericson

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably add the Chromis and blenny last - the others, as far as I'm aware, are pretty peaceful. Clown goby's likely to stay on the substrate / rocks - there might be a conflict with the blenny when you add that guy, but I'd still vote for goby first.

Note on the engineer goby - that guy can reach a pretty impressive size for a 30.

~B.
Thanks for your input, are you suggesting that although I have a 40 gallon tank I should not consider taking on the engineer?
Also, should I choose either the clown goby or the lawnmower Blenny but not both?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineer gobys are eel-like in shape, but can max out at about a foot long. I don't think they use a ton of moving-around space, tending to stay mostly in and around their burrows, so keeping it in that tank is up to you. (My apologies - I'd read "30" on the first pass, so thought your tank was ten gallons smaller.)

Honestly, I suspect that clown goby and lawnmower will probably get along - but have never kept the two at the same time.

~B.

OP
OP
kimbericson

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineer gobys are eel-like in shape, but can max out at about a foot long. I don't think they use a ton of moving-around space, tending to stay mostly in and around their burrows, so keeping it in that tank is up to you. (My apologies - I'd read "30" on the first pass, so thought your tank was ten gallons smaller.)

Honestly, I suspect that clown goby and lawnmower will probably get along - but have never kept the two at the same time.

~B.

OP
OP
kimbericson

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on Lawnmower-vs- Starry Blenny?

Would the Starry be too close in shape to the Clown Goby?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're similar enough, I should think, to be fairly interchangeable, as far as most other fish are concerned.

I don't think that the clown goby would have much of an issue with either, though I'd probably introduce the goby before the blenny.

For my personal preference, the starry's the better-looking fish.

~B.

OP
OP
kimbericson

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're similar enough, I should think, to be fairly interchangeable, as far as most other fish are concerned.

I don't think that the clown goby would have much of an issue with either, though I'd probably introduce the goby before the blenny.

For my personal preference, the starry's the better-looking fish.

~B.

Thanks, that’s why I was considering the Starry instead of the Lawnmower. Although my son has a Lawnmower in his tank and it is so ugly it’s cute and it has quite then personality as well.

Back