What reefers really want for Christmas! Have you been good?

Do you think you've been a "good little reefer" this year?

• Yes very good

Votes: 139 36.9%
  • Pretty good

Votes: 157 41.6%
  • A little bad

Votes: 42 11.1%
  • I deserve a lump of algae

Votes: 39 10.3%

• Total voters

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been somewhat good because I fell a bit lax on my reef after it nearly crashed and I had some coral loss.

As for what this reefer wants, a much bigger tank with all of the equipment to get off the ground, or a reef controller to monitor my systems a bit easier. (big dreams though!)

Hupajupe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What does a reefer really want for Christmas this year?

A Neptune Apex! I would love to get better daily visibility on the health of my tank and get some small amount of automation.

2. Have you been a good little reefer this year? Explain why you think so!

We this is my first year reefing. I started my first tank in May (RedSea Reefer 350) and it has been a monumental mountain of information to take in to do everything properly. I have put the health of all of animals going into the tank first and I have done a Proper QT of everything with the help of humblefish (I have also used Elliot over at Marine Collectors to do the QT on a few of them as well). I have even been doing a full 76 day fishless QT on all of my corals before going into the DT. Ill tell you its hard to convince your wife all of the expensive pretty corals have to sit in a different tank for 3 months before you can look at them in the living room... LOL

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A new tank! I'm eying a 50'ish gallon pentagon corner tank from customaquariums.com but the $350 charge for freight shipping is being a little bit of an obstacle. The sticker shock my wife had has been the main obstacle...

I've been constantly actually taking care of my tank and it has never looked better. I also did a ton of work in order to keep a mandarin in my 25 gallon cube with all the cultures and live food and she's fat and healthy and thriving!!!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new frag tank and accessories.

more attentive to parameters. stuffs growing out wayyyyyy faster.

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want better lights and stability, finally got the ATO and I'm adding to my zoa garden start up and euphyllia garden, and working on an Acan clan.

I voted pretty good since I've just started and switched tanks all in 1 year. I'm learning a lot. Ready to see what my tank will do in 2021. Hopefully grow leaps and bounds.

grorie76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've upgraded my current tank this year and spent quite a good amount of money on the tank. I could use another Nero 5 powerhead. If my wife really loved me she would tell Santa to bring me a Cade S 1200!

Could do with better maintenance, maybe better aquascaping but I've been a good reefer this year!

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I want for Christmas is a healthy happy tank! I suddenly feel like a bad reefer since dinos showed up. Just when things were starting to look good it now seems I've done something really wrong somewhere along the way. I worry about the safety of all my little guys. I feel like I've let them down. Maybe a big lump of algae would help drive the pests out.
It happens to the best of us. I've just been going in manually everynight and plucking it off my rocks which can make u a little crazy when it shows back up the next day lol but now it's kind of relaxing for me. Also, I feel like I might be making a dent lol
Stephen Colbert GIF by Global TV

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Livestock - Fish and coral always !!

I asked my fish to verify how good i've been and I received this:

1607383528490.png
1607383576797.png

Darwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m aiming for a bigger tank this year, everytime my son and I go to the reef shop he always ask for a bigger tank so we can open our own reef store. I always tell him one day. It’s an amazing feeling when he asks for that.
2.Have you been a good little reefer this year? Explain why you think so!
I voted pretty good because I’m literally monitoring my tank daily. More so for my 7 year old son who is the reason why I started reefing in the first place. We inspect everything everyday, he knows when corals aren’t looking good, when it’s time for a water change and even tho he helps a lot, most of the hands on come from me. We really enjoy what we’ve accomplished together.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a nonprofit where we feed thousands of people ever week. What does this reefer want for Christmas? About 1000 hams to give out as we are short that many.

Other than that, I don’t really need anything and my want list is fairly nonexistent.

Have I been good? Depends on who you ask. My wife?... well.... maybe. My friends? Probably. My aquarium? Most definitely!!

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What does a reefer really want for Christmas this year? Honestly I’d be happy with healthy fish and growing coral, but ya gotta always ask for something out of reach. A decent gyre is on my list. I started with a Jebao SCP-120 and it was way too much for my tank. Ordered a smaller Jebao SCP-80 and it arrived DOA. I know they are cheap throw away pumps, but sometimes you gotta skirt the “finance department’s” approval. Lol Anyhow one of these days Santa will bring me something like an Icecap or Maxspect

I labeled myself as “pretty good” for a couple reasons. First, I just started in January. I’ve stuck with it through the challenges of sick fish, god awful algae blooms, and overall rookie mistakes. No matter what has happened I have regrouped and came back stronger without giving in. The kids love the tank and I love taking them to the LFS to look at everything we dream of putting in a tank some day. If anything this hobby has given me all I wanted in those moments and memories.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For my wife to stop complaining about how much I spend when she spends just as much on junk! at least a reef pays off! Well could if I ever decided to frag,hahaha

No, I spend money sometimes from my PayPal account and then pay it off with my bank account just so my wife never knows. She just doesn’t think about it to hard,hahahahaahahah

CaseyWagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'd either want a skimmer or algae reactor suitable for my 40g. That's my somewhat reasonable part thinking. The unreasonable part wants a 110 gallon all-in-one system. ;)

I dunno what would make me a good reefer (my marine tank is just finishing the cycle) but I took some of my limited budget for aquarium stuff and donated it to people who have been impacted economically by the pandemic. I'm on a disability pension, so poor, but at least economically stable. Everyone reach out to someone this year and give a helping hand where you can.

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What dose a reefer want for Christmas this year? A 90 gallon rimless tank with a stand and a custom acrylic top and two radion xr30 blues with the mounting arm and two mp40s a nice custom sump for it and a
Red Sea rsk 300 reefer internal protein skimmer And to nyos reactors two eco tech s1 return pumps and a Neptune’s system apex with the trident and dose and dosing container preferably 2 dozers and 2 dosing containers.
But more realistically speaking for my algae to go away so my coral one algae can grow and for my torch to grow big enough to frag and complete my lps dominant 20 gallon

2. Have you been a good little reefer this year ? Explain why you think so!
I think I have been a really good little reefer because I was finally able to grow coralina algae and buy a coral and watch grow not die this year so I think I am a good little reefer cause my tank is progressing really nicely.

Back