What salt do you use and why?

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Reef Crystals b/c its the best bang for the buck IMO.

LOVETHISHOBBY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use Reef Crystals, but it turned my mixing containers brown. Plus, my skimmers would go nuts right after a water change. I use Tropic Marin now. I do have to up the calcium and alk though. But, I agree Reef Crystals is a good value.

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use D&D H2Ocean Pro + salt. I use it because of the igher levels of Mag and calc. It mixes well and has been really good salt for me. Not the cheapest but not really any more than seachem or tropic marin.

Mojo~

Jade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Crystals. It seems to give me the best Cal and Mag levels right from the start. I never have to dose Mag. in my tank, just Cal. and Alk.

Chris

trigger1121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tropic Marin only because that's what Coral Reef sells. I'm in the store often enough, and I need such a small amount, that I feel the convenience having them mix it in the store outweighs me doing it at home. Yep, I'm that lazy.

LornaS

Livin on the Salty Side
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Tropic Marin Pro when I had my 75 but it seemed hard to get and it was expensive to buy it locally so I switched to Reef Chrystals mostly due to the accessibility and price. I can get it from Fosters & Smith or Premium Aquatics at a reasonable price even with shipping. I personally didn't see any changes in my livestock due to the change. If you are using an expensive salt mix do you really see a difference in coral growth and color? You are going to dose anyway why pay so much more for the salt. I actually read some comparisons on salt mixes and there really isnt that much difference other than the ca and alk levels which you are going to adjust to match your individual needs anyway......just my 2 cents worth

roundspore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using seachem reef. I was using Instant Ocean but I could not keep my Cal, Mag and Alk at aceptable levels. I just changed in July. I see a huge diffrence in the amount of 2 part that I need to dose to maintain higher levels of Mag Cal and Alk. With me in Indy at least 2 times a week and no shiping from PA. The cost diffrence was minimal for me. Seachem mixes up pretty well and is pretty uniform in its levels from the top off the bucket to the bottom of the bucket. My lps has more than tripled in the last few months since changing salts.

Michael

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Crystals because It has always worked well for me and my budget. You can always find fault if your looking for it. I have used it for many years and see no reason to change.More important is the quality of the water you put it in to start with.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back