What salt do you use?

• Total voters

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved from TM to seachem salinity and never looked back.
I loved Salinity and defo works out more bang for your buck BUT the crap left in the bucket after mixing is just far too much. Really filthy and my buckets all got coated in it over time. TMPR leaves literally nothing behind.

Dacotahk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Pro and it works well for me. Mixes clean. I started with that in order to use the Red Sea recipes for mixed reef thinking it would make up for inexperience of balancing parameters on my part. Any salt I use would need to come from online orders since the LFS is 3 & 5 hours away.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two little fishies accurasea-comes in a box with 10 individual pouches of 5 gallons each-exactly what I need for a water change! No clumping due to moisture!

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i realize that you listed the BRS offerings so it is ok that neither of mine made the list. i voted other. I bought instant ocean and have mixed 400 gallons, I am about to switch over to Fritz Reef Pro Redline mix now that i have a few corals.

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with RS Coral Pro. If you are not dosing this is the best salt to use in my opinion, with weekly water changes you will likely not need any extra supplements for a long while. Once RS Coral Pro isn't enough to maintain parameters and you start dosing, I'd transition to another salt, like the RS Blue Bucket or one of several others. I moved to Tropic Marin Classic, mostly because it mixes fast, it's what my Lfs uses, BRS liked it, and I haven't seen a reason to switch otherwise. I have to say though that I have found that from bucket to bucket, the amount of TM Classic salt needed to maintain 1.026 salinity changes by about .1 pounds per 5 gallons. Not that big a deal, but it makes me wonder how consistent it is from batch to batch. I never noticed that with RS Coral Pro.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with Instant Ocean, then Coralife, then Reef Crystals, back to Coralife and finally HW Reefer. HW just mixes cleaner and doesn't precipitate even if I leave it mixing in a bucket for 5 days.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just purchased a bucket of Red Sea reef pro coral. But now I’m wondering is that the best? (Of course afterwards) I saw a video about salt on BRS and they gave two other recommendations for e.v.s and tropic marine. From what I can see they are all around the same price. So which one?

Answer the poll and tell me why you like what you use

If you watched the BRS series then IMO Tropic Marin Pro wins.
I have not had to clean the tanks on my mixing station in over a year and a half as there is no build up or precipitating.

Some naysayers feel the ALK is to low out of the bucket.
As we all dose I would rather start low and raise levels.
It is easier to add than to remove.

JasThomp27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used instant ocean and red seas .. i prefer red sea because it mixes so clean and fast. And I noticed that the instant ocean left a reddish tint in my mixing buckets..
I use instant ocean reef crystals and I’ve thought about trying others salts. Did you have to slowly transition to red seas?

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals. It doesn't leave brown nasties if you use a prefilter. Also 1/3 the cost of some of the 'I apparently cant spend 5min to clean my mixing container' salts. Save $100 a month on salt and take a few min each month to clean prefilter? Easy choice.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a lot of different salt mixes over the years. Currently using HW Marine Reefer. Price is competitive and it mixes well... most importantly, it mixes very close to the parameters that I keep my tank at so I don't have to add a bunch of stuff before using it.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular IO. There's nothing wrong with inexpensive salt (I pay $35/200G box), but IF and ONLY IF you're religious about doing water changes. My WCs are daily and automated. I dose ESV's 2-part and 2LF's AcroPower.

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marine Classic, values just where I need them, especially when dosing Kalk. Makes perfect parms for me!

Plus, little to no brown gunk. Makes for much easier maintenance.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back