Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it would be useful to add the biggest brands to the poll. lol

^^^This^^^

Over the years I have used many different brands. Whatever was cheapest at the time. For the last 20 or so, I've used Reef Crystals or just good old IO depending on where my parameters are at - mostly RC. Good price, consistent enough, always available pretty much anywhere. I tend to but 6-8 cases at a time. The fedex guy hates me that day.

Fish & Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Instant ocean has been working good for me. I find it stable from patch to patch and never had a problem with it.

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used aqua forest and was happy with it for the most part. Then when quantum salts landed in the US I switched to them and it has been my favorite my lfs wasn't getting it in for a couple months so I went with tropic marin pro and it was my least favorite out of the three. Lfs just ordered more quantum for me and I can't tell you how excited I am to be running it again.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just purchased a bucket of Red Sea reef pro coral. But now I’m wondering is that the best? (Of course afterwards) I saw a video about salt on BRS and they gave two other recommendations for e.v.s and tropic marine. From what I can see they are all around the same price. So which one?

Answer the poll and tell me why you like what you use
Like I had mentioned to you in one of our posts it's basically where you want to be at. If you wa t to keep your Alk @10 DKH you'll want one brand of you're @ 8 DKH another. Or you could always add the elements in. Neo Marine runs @ 7.5 DKH I believe so I add Alk. Calcium and Magnesium levels will also differ between salt brands. Also consider a salt with trace elements in them. Like they said in the BRS video it's hard to pick a "best" salt it's more what's best for you and your reef tank. Take a look at this article, it may help you to decide.

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an old salt when it comes to reef tanks, and the best salt I've found and still use is Aquaforest. Would not go back to any of the other brands. Noticeable improvement in coral health.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 first filled my tank with regular IO, then subsequent water changes with IORC for about a year. I didn't like the brown slime in the bottom of my mixing station, but yes. I switched over to Rscp mixes clean but all is a little high for my tank. I just purchased my first bucket of RS blue bucket.

feixjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Aquavitro Salinity from 2008-2013, and just finishing using the remaining bits last month (long pause in hobby and nano tank). Only issues with it was that it would leave calcium deposits on the mixing container and equipment.

All the LFS around me don't carry it anymore, so I switched over to Red Sea blue bucket. No complaints - mixes fast and doesn't leave any residue.

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwells as well. Although seriously thinking of switching to tropic marine. Getting tired of cleaning brown gunk out of my mixing station a couple times per year.
I hear you about the gunk! Also thinking of switching but have a full bucket on reserve to go through first. Also, because I like my Alk around 8.2 and the Neo Marine is mixing up at 7.2, I need to add alk which is an extra step that I'd like to do without!

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea pro is what I use. there all good products just slightly different cost per gal. Mostly it's personal preference. Like oil Valvaline vs Penzoil vs Castrol ect.

jmcdona6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea pro is what I use. there all good products just slightly different cost per gal. Mostly it's personal preference. Like oil Valvaline vs Penzoil vs Castrol ect.

I agree. However, if you look at BRS's study on how many gallons you actually get versus advertised, you do see some significant price differences.

For example, based off their testing IO Reef Crystals 160G bucket actually makes 126G at 35 PPT. At $40.99 a bucket (Amazon and Chewy), that means using 100G a month cost you $32.58. Meanwhile, Tropic Marine Pro 200G actually only makes 174G at 35PPT and cost $99.98 (BRS). It will cost you $57.53 for the same 100G/month usage. Tropic Marine Pro is superior to reef crystals in almost every way...but worth 76% more? I don't know about that. It's worth noting there is not a lot of availability for the TM Pro 200G bucket right now which could be leading to higher prices, but the 200G bucket is always well over $90 unless on sale somewhere.

The other commonly used brands fall somewhere in the middle where I'd agree, there is a economical trade-off between advantages and cost.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back