What size fish for which tank?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a book or something that helps to explain what size tank is needed for a fish. The water volume method doesn't work out very well. I am looking into a few 3 foot tanks and am trying to get an idea on which fish I will be able to stock in it. Any help with articles or books on habits would greatly appreciated.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides size, you will also need to know what other animals you will be keeping. Looks like you are a vetran of reef keeping. I have Scott W Michael's book on fish is very helpful. Then ask on here when yo uahve ideas to get real life experiences. At least that is my suggestion.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides size, you will also need to know what other animals you will be keeping. Looks like you are a vetran of reef keeping. I have Scott W Michael's book on fish is very helpful. Then ask on here when yo uahve ideas to get real life experiences. At least that is my suggestion.
Thanks. My overall concept is I need utilitarian fish. This will be a show tank in the lobby of a Hotel with visitors from all over the world. I need good herbivores that will work constantly. 3 feet is all the space I can have for right now. I might be able to squeeze in a 4 footer which would be a lot better. I would love an article or a book on Tangs and which ones can be kept together, especially in such a small tank.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only tang for that size tank is a tomini. They are good cleaners and stay smaller. Then maybe a lawnmower type blenny. I hear jester gobies are great cleaners too. Sand you will want a sand sifting goby or jawfish. You need a lid though!

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only tang for that size tank is a tomini. They are good cleaners and stay smaller. Then maybe a lawnmower type blenny. I hear jester gobies are great cleaners too. Sand you will want a sand sifting goby or jawfish. You need a lid though!
Lid and canopy have to happen. No option. Public area. Tomini and bristletooth I think would work. Are they the same thing? I already have a bicolor blenny so the lawnmower is out of the question. Are there any faxes or rabbits for a small tank?

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a great video done by BRS going over specific Utilitarian fish!

I like BRS, but their fish knowledge is rather poor. They have great access to people with lots of good knowledge though. They are why I am looking for the types of fish that I need. They had a purple tang in the E170 for over a year. That is something I couldn't do. They have tons of tanks and rehoming is never an issue for them. It is virtually impossible for me plus a large upgrade is years down the road for me personally.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini is in the bristletooth description. Along with Yellow eye Kole, Blue eye, and a couple others. I mention the tomini because it is smaller than the koles.

I cannot think of any rabbitfish/foxface that would like that small of a tank. At least not full grown. Maybe as a baby and grow it up.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini is in the bristletooth description. Along with Yellow eye Kole, Blue eye, and a couple others. I mention the tomini because it is smaller than the koles.

I cannot think of any rabbitfish/foxface that would like that small of a tank. At least not full grown. Maybe as a baby and grow it up.
OK. Could I do one tomini and a kole, or are they gonna fight? The filtration would not be an issue.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no tang appropriate for a 3ft tank. I would stick to traditional invert clean up crew and perhaps a benny in that size tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back