What skimmer to get for a 150 gallon mixed reef?

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say, hypothetically, you decide to setup a 150 gallon mixed reef tank. You have everything, minus the skimmer. You intend to have a lot of fish and corals. You intend to run biopellets in the future. Your budget for a skimmer is a max of $400. Which skimmer would you get with these things in mind?

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same boat as Im currently in the process of getting my 150 set up. Have you looked at Life Reef skimmers? That may be the route Im going to go down. Theyre a little more than $400 for the smaller model (which is rated for like 250 gallons), but theyre supposed to last a very long time with minimal maintenance. You can also use any pump you want with them as well. So, if the pump ever does go out on you, you dont have to contact the manufacturer and try and get something from them.

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same boat as Im currently in the process of getting my 150 set up. Have you looked at Life Reef skimmers? That may be the route Im going to go down. Theyre a little more than $400 for the smaller model (which is rated for like 250 gallons), but theyre supposed to last a very long time with minimal maintenance. You can also use any pump you want with them as well. So, if the pump ever does go out on you, you dont have to contact the manufacturer and try and get something from them.
I haven't, no. I was looking at the Reef Octopus Classic 200INT. It's only $330. But I wanted to see what everyone recommends before I make the plunge. That's nifty though that it can take any pump.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 150gal mixed reef, I use the Simplicity 240 DC Protein Skimmer. It's been running for 2+ years now (the life of my current tank). I feel it has worked very well for me. I chose it for its size-factor (needed to fit in my Triton-style sump) and its reviews. I would recommend it.

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 150gal mixed reef, I use the Simplicity 240 DC Protein Skimmer. It's been running for 2+ years now (the life of my current tank). I feel it has worked very well for me. I chose it for its size-factor (needed to fit in my Triton-style sump) and its reviews. I would recommend it.
Oh that's a nice one!

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not owned all the different skimmers. I have used A RO, Skimz and a Deltec. I do have a RedSea Berlin from the '90s but I don't think it is relevant.
I prefer the Deltec; easy to adjust, easy to clean and has never misbehaved. They are not as "sexy" as some of the others; simple no frills design.

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, my sump is a Trigger Systems Triton 44 v1.
Mine is a Pro Clear Aquatics sump. I have no idea on the model because it doesn't seem to exist on their site but it has x3 filter socks, a 14" x 15" compartment, and a compartment for the return. Basic.

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze anything and toss the biopellets in the trash.
Tunze has some mixed reviews. I'm hesitant on that. Biopellets largely are praised by all the big names. You just gotta oversize the skimmer to get the byproduct out of the water column. Otherwise, it does nothing. Except kill coral.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this one - you definitely want a DC powered unit.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been in the hobby for over 40 years and owned a lot of different brands of skimmers including those that would be considered "premium" brands, I finally settled on Life Reef. Would rate it as the second best reef equipment purchase I have ever made.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 Tunze skimmers and they all work phenomenally well cant come up with any big names using bio pellets- Ive been at this longer than most big names. All they do is cause Cyanobacteria blooms and if a tank is properly run, there is zero need for them.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is $400 and huge

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210224-080047_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210224-080047_Chrome.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 63

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these needle wheels are useless, go with a venturi if you can find one, otherwise lifereef.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many opinions on this topic and there are several good brands. Personally, I have used Reef Octopus skimmers for over 10 years and am currently using 3 different Reef Octopus skimmers on different systems. Additionally, in an informal R2R poll Reef Octopus was selected as the best skimmer brand:

Good luck with whatever you choose!

#reefoctopus

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many opinions on this topic and there are several good brands. Personally, I have used Reef Octopus skimmers for over 10 years and am currently using 3 different Reef Octopus skimmers on different systems. Additionally, in an informal R2R poll Reef Octopus was selected as the best skimmer brand:

Good luck with whatever you choose!

#reefoctopus
Personlly, I like reef octopus as well. And I'm leaning towards the Classic 200INT. I have the Classic 150INT currently in my 150 gallon but I feel like it's too small for the tank. My nitrate is sky high at 40ppm and I just added a biopellet reactor to address that but I feel like I need to upgrade the skimmer to accommodate the reactor. What are your thoughts? Think the Classic 200INT is the way to go or should I look at a different model?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are several reasonable options and IMO the 200 INT seems like a solid choice for your situation.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back