What tank should I get guys ? Also what is your dream tank guys !!!!! tank budget is 8000$

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive looking to upgrade my tank to a tank bigger than 120 gallons in the next few months November ish.
Current tank is a 90 galon

I want a all in one sort of tank I want extra space under the tank around the sump for a small qarentine tank .
I’m a newbie and I really want to know what your opinions are .
My current tank is an open top I was thinking of getting a closed top because of the smell and for a change
I want your opinions on that.
Also I have a prime ai hydra 52 led lights And am planning on getting two more for a total of 3 and having them built into a the new hood of a tank or is that a bad idea .
Are there tanks with lights that are better . I have one led light system already and it’s brand new I don’t want to waste it and it’s pretty good .

Also I noticed some tanks have a black background I personally like the 360 glass view even if it’s up against the wall . From your experiences is the black background better or no ?.
I want something with as much included in the tank as possible like plugs etc .
No need for powerhead because I have the best maxspect gyre already
Oh and is a black tank better or a white one ?
Personally I think the black looks nice reminds me it’s a tank and not a display peice makes me feel like I’m s kid with an awuarioum more ( if you get what I mean )
But white would suit my decor more and open up the room .
What do you guys think ?

Iwill attach pictures of 2 tanks I’ve been looking at and you can give me your opinion
Red Sea max s .
Clear aquatics

Thanks can’t wait to hear from you guys .
Also feel free to ask me anything I will attach a picture of my tank too

0763FCD0-0D63-4FD1-91C7-6AAA6D3F6985.jpeg

ABBBAED2-8E9C-4455-83F0-8D577FD6824D.jpeg

74C44D12-559B-46C9-A3EA-B2FE82EC3C6E.jpeg

4897792A-6666-4149-A985-5311C7AB4FFE.jpeg

ED3528F1-9F8A-4683-AB43-7B15B9DA652A.jpeg

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or this Red Sea one it’s a 750 l ? Almost double my tank which is amazing

121C10F2-B9FE-4228-BAE1-3139BB0E3188.jpeg

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t go wrong with a Red Sea reefer, everyone who has one loves it. I don’t like the dimensions of the CAG-2000 tank you posted, too tall and skinny, you’ll be up to your armpit in the tank constantly and still probably won’t be able to reach the lower 1/3. And 20” front to back is too skinny imo and limits you Lot with the rock work. I have a 90 like you right now and my only regret is that I didn’t go with a 120 for he extra 6” of depth front to back.

You’re going to be a little limited on choices if you’re set on getting a large AIO tank, basically just the Red Sea or waterbox. But with these tanks AIO just means that you get 90% if the equipment in 1 package, they still have sumps under the stand. But if you’re looking at a 6’+ tank you should have plenty of room for whatever you want underneath. You’ve got plenty of budget, so if it were me, I’d go as long as your room will allow, keep the height at 24”, or if you really want a deep tank 30” max. And I would go as deep front to back as you can, 30-36” would be ideal for me personally.

Like I said you’ve got plenty of budget, you should talk to some of the custom builders and have them quote you the exact tank you want (reefsavvy, sca, glass cages). SCA sells AIO systems that have everything but the lights and the power heads, the biggest they go off the shelf hat I would go for is a 150 for $2500. But I’m sure they will give you a custom quote for something larger.

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t go wrong with a Red Sea reefer, everyone who has one loves it. I don’t like the dimensions of the CAG-2000 tank you posted, too tall and skinny, you’ll be up to your armpit in the tank constantly and still probably won’t be able to reach the lower 1/3. And 20” front to back is too skinny imo and limits you Lot with the rock work. I have a 90 like you right now and my only regret is that I didn’t go with a 120 for he extra 6” of depth front to back.

You’re going to be a little limited on choices if you’re set on getting a large AIO tank, basically just the Red Sea or waterbox. But with these tanks AIO just means that you get 90% if the equipment in 1 package, they still have sumps under the stand. But if you’re looking at a 6’+ tank you should have plenty of room for whatever you want underneath. You’ve got plenty of budget, so if it were me, I’d go as long as your room will allow, keep the height at 24”, or if you really want a deep tank 30” max. And I would go as deep front to back as you can, 30-36” would be ideal for me personally.

Like I said you’ve got plenty of budget, you should talk to some of the custom builders and have them quote you the exact tank you want (reefsavvy, sca, glass cages). SCA sells AIO systems that have everything but the lights and the power heads, the biggest they go off the shelf hat I would go for is a 150 for $2500. But I’m sure they will give you a custom quote for something larger.
Thanks for the reply
Yes I was leaning towards the Red Sea reefer , how good would you say it is ?
Sorry what is aio?
And would you say black back is better then a see through glass back panel . ?
What about my lighting would I be able to integrate it into the reefer somehow ?
And does the reefer come with a lid ?

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply
Yes I was leaning towards the Red Sea reefer , how good would you say it is ?
Sorry what is aio?
And would you say black back is better then a see through glass back panel . ?
What about my lighting would I be able to integrate it into the reefer somehow ?
And does the reefer come with a lid ?
Oh all in one I get it . But that’s what I’m looking for what I meant is I can buy the skimmer and powerhead and lights . I just want one advanced clever tank all the plumbing done well the sump looking good and some space underneath for plugs or even better with a plug board . You get me ?

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No a deep tank is not what I wanted lok .
I just was attracted to digiatal interface on the clear one and .liked the idea of temperature lighting and performance being digitally shown . But the depth of the tank and his thin it was defiantly was a turn off I saw it in person that’s how I know ... I want the lambo of reef tanks . Like so I don’t make a mistake and buy a less advanced one . You get me ?

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No a deep tank is not what I wanted lok .
I just was attracted to digiatal interface on the clear one and .liked the idea of temperature lighting and performance being digitally shown . But the depth of the tank and his thin it was defiantly was a turn off I saw it in person that’s how I know ... I want the lambo of reef tanks . Like so I don’t make a mistake and buy a less advanced one . You get me ?
About a custom build I live in dubai so it’s not really an option for me. Sadly :/
and the biggest tank I saw here (if you can believe it )was the clear aquatics one

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you order the reefer 750 of the internet? Does anyone know
Can it be shipped
I’ve made my decision it’s gorgeous, it has
Plenty of room for a qt/hospital tank underneath,which I really wanted
Should I go with the ai lights should I buy 2 more hydra fiftytwo led lights or should I get the lights that come with the tank ???

420C18B8-2F05-46BA-B622-207B78F6BB17.png

335FDFAD-FA5A-42AF-9D12-08BA46FEFDEB.png

14992F1F-17A2-443C-8199-74A60AF3AA7F.png

3F682515-4639-4E03-9E59-7F3916C58201.png

759C2707-5C32-4891-BD03-D923A2835CA5.png

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a qt/ hospital tank in the same cabinet is a bad idea. It is recommended to keep qt/ hospital tanks at least 10’ away.
Thanks but it’s either that or no qt tank for me .
which is better ?
I don’t want two separate tanks . Plus for me it’s easier because all wiring will be in one place and only one tank will be seen and also it will be more calming on the fish that are sick or new because it’s in a place that is secluded .

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A less than perfect QT is always better than no QT. The reason the 10ft distance comes into play is to avoid accidental water/disease exchange between the two tanks.
I understand that . I only got my qt after having problems with white spot . And since I bought it I want to keep it for new additions. But I can’t have it anywhere else and if not being used as a qt it will be like a hospital tank as I said or you know for observation I think it would go perfect under the tank : I guess you guys know more than me about this I will certainly take what you said into consideration .
Can anyone answer my previous questions please :(

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea reefers can be purchased from virtually any online vendor and are shipped usually to your door (or LFS if you wish) from Red Seas warehouse.

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea reefers can be purchased from virtually any online vender are are shipped usually to your door from Red Seas warehouse.
Ok to Dubai also in the United Arab Emirates ?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok to Dubai also in the United Arab Emirates ?

That would be a different story, best to contact Red Sea directly via there website and they will let you know where you can purchase them from locally.

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a different story, best to contact Red Sea directly via there website and they will let you know where you can purchase them from locally.
Ok hope they are helpful

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that . I only got my qt after having problems with white spot . And since I bought it I want to keep it for new additions. But I can’t have it anywhere else and if not being used as a qt it will be like a hospital tank as I said or you know for observation I think it would go perfect under the tank : I guess you guys know more than me about this I will certainly take what you said into consideration .
Can anyone answer my previous questions please :(

Well a QT in a bad spot is still better than no QT, the reason people don’t recommend a qt under the stand is that there are some studies out there that say that copper medications can transfer through the air. Copper is used to three ich and velvet (not sure which the “white spot” you referred to is l, but it’s most likely one of those two). Even trace amounts of copper can be fatal to corals and inverts (shrimp, crabs, snails). If your qt is under your stand next to your sump the chances are higher that water could splash out of your qt into your sump, or copper could transfer via air, or you could accidentally put your hands from the qt to the sump and spread copper or fish disease to the main tank that way.

If you really can’t put it anywhere else than I would definitely get a lid for the qt, and make sure you go to the sink and wash and dry your hands every single time you touch the qt when there’s meds in it. Also look into Chloriquine phosphate (no idea if you can get it there, I’ve heard folks in the UK say they can’t get it, check with your vet). To use instead of copper, but some fish (like wrasses) can’t do CP, so you’ll have to do your research on it.

But really, do you want to risk killing hundreds or thousands or dollars of coral just for the convenience of not having a second tank visible? You’ve got plenty of budget, if you’re worried about a qt not looking good you could get one of the nanocubes or biocubes, they come in 12 gallon, 24 gallon and 30 gallon, they have hoods with integrated lighting and you can get stands made for them, the 12 gallon is tiny, you’ve gotta have a small corner somewhere in the house where you can put it. If you’ve got a home office they can go right on the desk top.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank budget was $2000, spent over $5k, my second tank budget was $5k and spent around $8k. My new home I built my dream setup; I budgeted $20k and spent close to $40k.

What i'm trying to say is, it's hard to budget "dream tanks" in this hobby! :)

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank budget was $2000, spent over $5k, my second tank budget was $5k and spent around $8k. My new home I built my dream setup; I budgeted $20k and spent close to $40k.

What i'm trying to say is, it's hard to budget "dream tanks" in this hobby! :)

Do you have a build thread for your current set up? I'm going to be building a house in about 5 years and want to build in a dream setup also, I'm in the very early stages of gathering ideas and would be really interested in seeing a build thread from someone who's done something similar.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back