what temps do you guys keep your reefs at ?

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is asked every now and then but im just curious what do you guys keep your reef at ?

Mine i always warm due to Being up in my bedroom on the 3rd level of my house, since its a 135g tank in a room with 3 other tanks it tends to always be in the 82+ range. But another big reason is because of my Uv sterlizers.

I dealt with major ich explosions when i first started reefing and doing salt so i originally went the uv sterilizer route before i went to hyosalinity. Tank transfer and so forth, but i kinda just kept the uv sterilizers going.

I have a 36w Jaebo and a 24w green killing machine. Now i mainly keep em on to just keep the water clear. But the issue with my Jaebo is while the bulb works. Replacing it with new ones no longer works due to the weaker ballast from years of use. So it only works on older bulbs. The uv will still clear uo a bacterial or algae bloom but nothing else in my opinion.

I also broke the glass sleeve and sealed it with silicone. Another thing i noticed is the black plastic it uses is breaking down leaving black stuff i can wipe with my fingers ect. But recently i decided to just unplug it and unplug my pump i had hooked up to it.

Ive never had a heater running in my tank due to the uvs and being upstairs. Once i turned off this 36w and pump my tenps drasticly went down. From 82f to 76f. Amazing how a 36w uv can heat up a 135 gallon tank like this. I noticed ny room is cooler now too lol.

I still have the 24w uv running.

So my question is should i turn on my 300w heater and what should i set it too ? Ive been reefing for years but i always kept my tank at 82-86f. Depends on my room temperature and if i have all the lights on. And now that the uv is off temps dropped 8f.

I dont notice anything affecting the corals though with the temp drop. And i have 80+ different corals from zoas to probly 20 acros, lps and other sps types.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine fluctuates around 78.

1600304084093.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I run a chiller so it stays constant

ARAJEA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is eye opening. I've been trying to keep mine between 77.5 and 78 and I've been getting frustrated. You all really let that many degree difference? What sort of time frame is this change taking place?

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wherever it sits steady. Right now holding fast at 77.7.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is eye opening. I've been trying to keep mine between 77.5 and 78 and I've been getting frustrated. You all really let that many degree difference? What sort of time frame is this change taking place?

I prefer a variation

I think keeping a reef too stable with temp dooms you if stuff happens. I like my corals to be used to fluctuations. Like an immune system. Purely anecdotal.. totally successful

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a variation

I think keeping a reef too stable with temp dooms you if stuff happens. I like my corals to be used to fluctuations. Like an immune system. Purely anecdotal.. totally successful
Agree, if the tank sees a couple of degrees swing, when 4 or 5 happens there might be some bother, but no catastrophe.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank fluctuates between 78-80. But, I had a ten gallon Nuvo in an upstairs room that fluctuated between 78-85 daily. The coral I had in there (acros , acans, duncans, and favias) amazingly adapted to the fluctuations and I never lost a piece. I took it down when I upgraded to a larger tank. In nature temperatures fluctuate daily and in some cases extremely, and yet we still have coral reefs. If your coral is ok don’t try to chase numbers. They have adapted to the fluctuations which is actually pretty awesome.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76-76.5 during the winter (heavily heated cause my house is cold)
77.5-78.5 during the summer (fans on 24V on the apex that kick on when it hits 78.5)

Back