what temps do you guys keep your reefs at ?

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is asked every now and then but im just curious what do you guys keep your reef at ?

Mine i always warm due to Being up in my bedroom on the 3rd level of my house, since its a 135g tank in a room with 3 other tanks it tends to always be in the 82+ range. But another big reason is because of my Uv sterlizers.

I dealt with major ich explosions when i first started reefing and doing salt so i originally went the uv sterilizer route before i went to hyosalinity. Tank transfer and so forth, but i kinda just kept the uv sterilizers going.

I have a 36w Jaebo and a 24w green killing machine. Now i mainly keep em on to just keep the water clear. But the issue with my Jaebo is while the bulb works. Replacing it with new ones no longer works due to the weaker ballast from years of use. So it only works on older bulbs. The uv will still clear uo a bacterial or algae bloom but nothing else in my opinion.

I also broke the glass sleeve and sealed it with silicone. Another thing i noticed is the black plastic it uses is breaking down leaving black stuff i can wipe with my fingers ect. But recently i decided to just unplug it and unplug my pump i had hooked up to it.

Ive never had a heater running in my tank due to the uvs and being upstairs. Once i turned off this 36w and pump my tenps drasticly went down. From 82f to 76f. Amazing how a 36w uv can heat up a 135 gallon tank like this. I noticed ny room is cooler now too lol.

I still have the 24w uv running.

So my question is should i turn on my 300w heater and what should i set it too ? Ive been reefing for years but i always kept my tank at 82-86f. Depends on my room temperature and if i have all the lights on. And now that the uv is off temps dropped 8f.

I dont notice anything affecting the corals though with the temp drop. And i have 80+ different corals from zoas to probly 20 acros, lps and other sps types.
First I think my UV light is best piece of equipment I have besides protein skimmer
Second I would have a heart attack if my tank ever got close to the lowest temperature anyone has posted so far
I keep my tank at 72n a half degrees to 73 at the most all year long sometimes when cold out it drops to 70 n a half 70

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I think my UV light is best piece of equipment I have besides protein skimmer
Second I would have a heart attack if my tank ever got close to the lowest temperature anyone has posted so far
I keep my tank at 72n a half degrees to 73 at the most all year long sometimes when cold out it drops to 70 n a half 70

70 or 72 is freezing. The yearly average reef in the indo pacific is 82f.

I guess my tank is much warmer than everyones here. Being 82-86f. I dont keep mine at a set temp either as its always based on my room temps. Summer is warm in a 3rd level bedroom. Spec8ally with so many lights on with 8 T5 bulbs and a set of led lights. It can raise my room temp by 4-6f when they are on.

Then at night with the lights off itll drop down.

I always figured my tank was closer to real reef temps in the indo pacific and at the great barrier reef.

When i turned my uv off and it went down to 76-77 it just feels chilly like water i wouldnt wanna swim in at the ocean. Granted i havent noticed my 80 corals change from the 82-84 or so temps to 77f but still i wonder if i should turn my heater on and go back to at least 80-82f

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is set at 79 (Finnex digital controller) so I'd say it ranges somewhere around 78 & 79. Luckily the house stays 68-70 degrees year round.

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is asked every now and then but im just curious what do you guys keep your reef at ?

Mine i always warm due to Being up in my bedroom on the 3rd level of my house, since its a 135g tank in a room with 3 other tanks it tends to always be in the 82+ range. But another big reason is because of my Uv sterlizers.

I dealt with major ich explosions when i first started reefing and doing salt so i originally went the uv sterilizer route before i went to hyosalinity. Tank transfer and so forth, but i kinda just kept the uv sterilizers going.

I have a 36w Jaebo and a 24w green killing machine. Now i mainly keep em on to just keep the water clear. But the issue with my Jaebo is while the bulb works. Replacing it with new ones no longer works due to the weaker ballast from years of use. So it only works on older bulbs. The uv will still clear uo a bacterial or algae bloom but nothing else in my opinion.

I also broke the glass sleeve and sealed it with silicone. Another thing i noticed is the black plastic it uses is breaking down leaving black stuff i can wipe with my fingers ect. But recently i decided to just unplug it and unplug my pump i had hooked up to it.

Ive never had a heater running in my tank due to the uvs and being upstairs. Once i turned off this 36w and pump my tenps drasticly went down. From 82f to 76f. Amazing how a 36w uv can heat up a 135 gallon tank like this. I noticed ny room is cooler now too lol.

So my question is should i turn on my 300w heater and what should i set it too ? Ive been reefing for years but i always kept my tank at 82-86f. Depends on my room temperature and if i have all the lights on. And now that the uv is off temps dropped 8f.

I dont notice anything affecting the corals though with the temp drop. And i have 80+ different corals from zoas to probly 20 acros, lps and other sps types.
Mine use to be 79-80 but now it is about 78-79.
Screenshot_20200910-113252_Apex Fusion.jpg

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Run my temp at 79-80 degrees.

Ebisan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was 78 (would get up to 80 on hot days). Started keeping at 76.5-77.5. Tank seems happier.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80-81° F in the Winters
77-78° in the Summers
That way in the Winters if the room gets really cold or we have a power issue the tank will be warmer than normal so it’ll keep warm for longer. In the Summers if my room gets hot it’ll take longer for the tank to overheat and I’ll have more time to act.

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly! But I also see people who have success with super stable so.... lots of approaches.
Right, there are a ton of approaches but I like to think of it like this.. What's a "better" way to run it? Keeping the ttank within like a .2 degree difference or maybe a 1 degree or 2? Sure is a lot easier to do the latter. It's less taxing on equipment etc. Also as others have said maybe.. just maybe if a failure did happen. Things won't flip out from the swing as opposed to a constant singular temp. Again, as they said, it's all anecdotal but hey. The more I read the more it's starting to seem the belief of ultra-stable environments are less important than just consistency. By that I mean, no quick sudden shifts in things. PH swings down slow, up slow. etc.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
80 - 81º F. I'm considering bumping up to 81 - 82º as it seems to make my giganteas happier.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back