What the heck is this??

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have/had little soft looking scum on the bottom of my rocks. This is on the shaded side away from the lights. What are the white EGG looking things. Anyone know? I'm currently battling a Digitate Hydroid infestation, and I thought this might have something to do with them, but I can't identify it. I've posted the pic. Any ideas would be helpful. I've since thrown out the rock, but I had to get all my coral off of it.

EggSacks2.gif

EggSacks.gif

OP
OP
Gordon Cashmore

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Exactly. Should have seen the rock. Did not notice all the old dead worms underneath. I just pitched it and boiled most of my rocks in my tank. Oops. They are all clean now.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? You're talking about battling things that are usually seen early in the tank's life and go away on their own.

OP
OP
Gordon Cashmore

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 2 years old. I believe these things can in with snails I bought recently. They were encrusted with barnacles and fans. I thought they would be a cool addition if I could get the fans to propogate from the snails to rocks so I didn't dip. Ugh wish I was not so hasty. The rock had nice green polyps on it too. I got a lot of it tranferred.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt: observe. It's tough because you see something and you are afraid of it doing damage or being a pest and gut reaction is to yank it! I've done something similar before, I feel your pain.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back