What to do next?

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Blenny has ich. I have it in qt, in copper power treatment. Its still breathing, but is not moving much and hasn't eaten in days. I'm just wondering when i should just pull the plug and end its suffering.

14893770410122061725641.jpg

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my opinion I would. If it doesn't have energy to swim or even sit up right good chance it won't make it :[

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad
Are you running any others meds besides copper? who many days has the ick been present

OP
OP
Roy 9121

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad
Are you running any others meds besides copper? who many days has the ick been present
No, just the copper safe. I just discovered it yesterday, fish was showing symptoms for a couple days before that. So probably about 4 days.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End it. Sorry. He's not eating and it probably to late to tray metroplex with food.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just the copper safe. I just discovered it yesterday, fish was showing symptoms for a couple days before that. So probably about 4 days.

Are you sure it was ich and not velvet? They can sometimes look quite similar. It took 4 days for him to show symptoms then get to this point? How long did you take to get the copper to the point it's at now? What level is it at? Have you tried a freshwater dip yet? I think I would. Best case senario he get's a little better and might make it long enough for the copper to do it's thing. Worst case he dies and ends his suffering.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was ich and not velvet? They can sometimes look quite similar. It took 4 days for him to show symptoms then get to this point? How long did you take to get the copper to the point it's at now? What level is it at? Have you tried a freshwater dip yet? I think I would. Best case senario he get's a little better and might make it long enough for the copper to do it's thing. Worst case he dies and ends his suffering.

+1 If you wind up needing to euthanize, here is how: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-euthanize-a-fish.266222/

OP
OP
Roy 9121

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of what it has. I've had this fish for about 3 weeks, was doing great. Then about 4 days ago it stopped eating, then friday night it disappeared from its little perch place. I found it yesterday on the bottom behind some rocks. I dug it out and put it in the copper yesterday. I have not done a fresh water dip.

20170311_140148.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dug it out and pour out in the copper yesterday.

You put it into a QT with full therapeutic copper? Can you please tell me what level the copper is at?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think, is that what i should do?

If you dropped him into straight 2.0 ppm Coppersafe, he could just be in copper shock.

I would do the FW dip as @melypr1985 suggested, and then put him in a bucket with clean SW/no copper to see how he's doing.

OP
OP
Roy 9121

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dropped him into straight 2.0 ppm Coppersafe, he could just be in copper shock.

I would do the FW dip as @melypr1985 suggested, and then put him in a bucket with clean SW/no copper to see how he's doing.
The copper wasnt at 2.0 at first. It was about 1 then i add more to raise it to 2. I'll try the FW dip.

OP
OP
Roy 9121

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copper wasnt at 2.0 at first. It was about 1 then i add more to raise it to 2. I'll try the FW dip.
Ok, i did the FW dip, and i have him in a little bowl of SW now. He seemed to perk up a little, he is actually upright now. Still hasn't eaten. What should i do next, i can't keep him in the bowl for long. If he looks better and eats, should i put him back in the copper treatment?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, i did the FW dip, and i have him in a little bowl of SW now. He seemed to perk up a little, he is actually upright now. Still hasn't eaten. What should i do next, i can't keep him in the bowl for long. If he looks better and eats, should i put him back in the copper treatment?

I would put him into a non medicated QT and get him eating. You can try again with the copper treatment, but slowly raising the copper levels this time around.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back