What to Do: Tanks & Power Outages

jellifishi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently under a tornado watch, first one of the season, and realized I am not prepared for a power outage when it comes to my tank. I seen post talking about backup generators, people put Hot Hands in ziplock bags and put it in the tank, putting blankets on top of and around the tank. The backup generators are beyond expensive from what I've seen.
I'm curious, what do you do in a power outage? How do you maintain the pump or water temperature?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Batteries are expensive. A generator is expensive. I don't see a cheap solution. A generator can run for as long as I have gas for it so I chose that. I need a heater (depending on the season) and my return pump (and a kettle ;)) to keep both dt and sump alive. Water falling through the overflow into the sump is enough for my small system to keep the o2 levels up enough; may not be for others though

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida on the Space Coast, we get hit often....crazy storms hurricanes you name it.

Your 1st line of defense is a battery backup. Then a generator.

IMHO....everyone who has a Saltwater Tank should have a battery backup...as in when you plan your tank build, budget for a battery backup also.

For our freshwater tanks, we always have extra air bubblers...like the ones you use for fishing, to keep your shrimp alive, we fish a lot over here, so we always have extra battery powered air bubblers....you can also use them in your saltwater tank as well.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Honda inverter generators for when the power goes out, not a cheap option, but they can also be used for other tasks. You can run the pump off of your car if it has an inverter. Also a second on the battery powered air pumps.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently under a tornado watch, first one of the season, and realized I am not prepared for a power outage when it comes to my tank. I seen post talking about backup generators, people put Hot Hands in ziplock bags and put it in the tank, putting blankets on top of and around the tank. The backup generators are beyond expensive from what I've seen.
I'm curious, what do you do in a power outage? How do you maintain the pump or water temperature?
Battery Backup and a generator.

Considering the $30k in the tank, $4k for a generator to power the tank, household essentials and keep the beer cold is cheap/.

PharmrJohn

Picking Up My Trumpet Again After 35 Years!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery Backup and a generator.

Considering the $30k in the tank, $4k for a generator to power the tank, household essentials and keep the beer cold is cheap/.
+1. I've already got a monster generator, but will be getting a battery backup as primary. But don't forget, you need a TV working to go with the beer. Let's remember our priorities! Oh! And an XBox......

Back