What to do with this Bimaculatus Anthias?

UncleSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have 2 QT tanks set up. One was to have 3 Bimaculatus (1 male, 2 female) and one was to have a Regal angel. The two female Anthias weren't a huge fan of each other, and the smaller lady always stayed by herself and the others wouldn't allow her to eat.

The Regal was also struggling with eating - although now he's a beast - so I moved the smaller female with the Regal. The smaller female started eating and enjoying life again. My thought was to get her used to food, then move her back.

The Regal became great with food, but for some reason, this forced the Anthias into hiding. She'll stay hidden all day, and she'll grab some food, but she refuses to come out of her pipe, she waits for food to come in. I don't know if the Regal swimming rapidly for food is scaring her, or she's just naturally shy.

So, my thought was moving her BACK to the Anthias tank, but then I am afraid she'd be in the same crappy situation as before and not know how to fend for herself. She's at least getting some food with the Regal, but she doesn't get to explore like I'd like for her to do - additionally, if I wait too long, I am afraid the two anthias will never accept her into the school.

Thoughts?

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would leave her in with the Regal where she is at least getting food so you can get through QT. There is a chance that after your QT is complete and when you introduce the anthias into your display (all at the same time), being placed in a new environment might help change things up.

My experience with bimacs, however, is once the group decides to pick on a particular member it doesn't get any better. If your DT is big enough it may just live solitary in another area of the tank. Helps to have more females to spread the aggression around a bit. Good luck - hope it works out.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back