What to do with this bubble coral?

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’ve had this bubble coral for about 8 months. I believe it to be a type of pearl bubble. In that span of time it has grown a lot. There used to be a couple inches between the glass and now it’s up against it. It’s starting to encroach towards a Setosa but it hasn’t seemed to sting it yet.

anyway I don’t have much experience with bubbles. This thing is about 10” across now. Can this be fragged? The base seemed similar to a wall hammer so I’m guessing there is a lot of risk trying to cut it.

any suggestions? It’s a cool piece but I’d rather not have a 14” bubble coral in another year. I didn’t realize they grew so fast.
7B69309C-0C4F-490B-9214-1D8FB66F446E.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this bubble coral for about 8 months. I believe it to be a type of pearl bubble. In that span of time it has grown a lot. There used to be a couple inches between the glass and now it’s up against it. It’s starting to encroach towards a Setosa but it hasn’t seemed to sting it yet.

anyway I don’t have much experience with bubbles. This thing is about 10” across now. Can this be fragged? The base seemed similar to a wall hammer so I’m guessing there is a lot of risk trying to cut it.

any suggestions? It’s a cool piece but I’d rather not have a 14” bubble coral in another year. I didn’t realize they grew so fast.
7B69309C-0C4F-490B-9214-1D8FB66F446E.jpeg
Perhaps someone will disagree, but they don't survive fragging well.
I returned to lfs for credit

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all gorgeous tank! I agree with not fragging. Very risky. Maybe try to reposition it or new spot in the tank all together. I don’t see a huge bubble coral as a problem really. Especially with the prices the way they are right now. You could try to sell it on here or back to LFS like @Pistondog said. But either way you can’t go wrong. Good luck

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back