What to put between my stand and glass tank

Christam1433

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am brand new to this hobby, and started everything backwards. The lfs that sold me the tank kit and convinced the kids and I that this would be easy has been very unhelpful since I started doing my own research.

I have a 5 week old 45 gal bow front glass tank. It has about 40 lbs of sand in it. Currently stocked with 2 clownfish, 3 snails and 5 hermit crabs.

I would like to drain the tank this weekend enough to move the tank and stand about 3 more inches away from the wall and put something that will absorb water or prevent water from pooling under the glass tank on the wood stand. Any suggestions? Both for product to use as well as method?

I would also like to pull the fake plastic stuff that the lfs sold me out and replace with real rock. Any suggestions for this??

Thank you so much in advance

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am brand new to this hobby, and started everything backwards. The lfs that sold me the tank kit and convinced the kids and I that this would be easy has been very unhelpful since I started doing my own research.

I have a 5 week old 45 gal bow front glass tank. It has about 40 lbs of sand in it. Currently stocked with 2 clownfish, 3 snails and 5 hermit crabs.

I would like to drain the tank this weekend enough to move the tank and stand about 3 more inches away from the wall and put something that will absorb water or prevent water from pooling under the glass tank on the wood stand. Any suggestions? Both for product to use as well as method?

I would also like to pull the fake plastic stuff that the lfs sold me out and replace with real rock. Any suggestions for this??

Thank you so much in advance

Tank leveling pads will work to help level your tank and give it some padding between the stand and the glass bottom of the tank, but why would you have water pooling under your tank?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I'd recommend only using about 1" of sand, so you may want to remove some ...

Secondly, anything you place under the tank/on top of the stand will absorb moisture and rot the stand/grow mold. Better to just not get it wet in the first place. If you really want a cushion/buffer between the tank and stand, consider 1/2" pink foam insulation. This will not absorb moisture and also take out any uneven surfaces between your tank and stand.

And if you're getting water on the stand, something is wrong. Either you/the plumbing is making it wet, or the tank has an issue.

Worthy1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at a few options when setting up my new tank and reverted back to Styrofoam like I have in all my previous tanks. Looks great with my white cabinet and was also the cheapest option. With the foam you have to get the right density and it also fuses to the bottom of the tank over time which is a pain to remove if you ever want to down the track.

I don't believe the Styrofoam absorbs water either.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if water is pooling you might have a leak somewhere. What sort of "kit" is this? What kind of filtration. Since they sold you plastic stuff I have to assume the lfs is something like a Petco or PetSmart. Don't go there unless you know exactly what you want.

Do you have a decent lfs in your area? They usually sell live rock. Check out the aquascape forum for some ideas.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank has a plastic frame that raises the bottom glass off the stand......nothing goes under the tank.

If the tank is simply flat bottom, then whatever the manufacturer recommends.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As for adding rock, you can add live rock already cycled from a LFS, or dry rock. But if adding dry rock, make sure you cure it for 4-6 weeks prior to adding to your tank. There astrea a lot of threads, articles, and BRS videos on hire to cure it properly to build your nitrifying bacteria. If added directly to your tank, the tank will cycle which may be hurtful to the live animals in your tank already.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, as above, I forgot to post to your decoration question ...
Buy some live rock and slowly change out what you have. I piece per 2 weeks to allow bacteria to populate the new rock.

Best to cycle it in a tub before adding to the tank.

Last edited:

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if adding dry rock, make sure you cure it for 4-6 weeks prior to adding to your tank.
Good advice, but I've seen enough bad advice about cycling/curing rock without the proper info added ...

Curing rock can take what seems like forever ... leave it in a bucket and test/change the water weekly for up to 6 months ... :oops:

Curing is to remove all PO4 ... cycling is just to add nitrifying bacteria and can be accomplished within weeks when adding liquid ammonia

So don't become confused when reading the 2 terms

Just because your LR is 'cycled', does not mean it is 'cured'.
Un-cured LR or old/dry rock will fuel algae issues in your tank you don't want to deal with

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be helpful to have the OP comment further before going into any further scenarios and having a conversation between yourself/yourselves. ;)

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be helpful to have the OP comment further before going into any further scenarios and having a conversation between yourself/yourselves. ;)
That's no fun. Isn't the whole point of this forum is to extrapolate our own opinions based on a small amount of info ??? :p

OK, waiting for the OP to join back in ...

OP
OP
C

Christam1433

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Thank you for your comments.
Additional info....
The tank kit I bought is a Fluval 45gal Bow front. It came with the stand, a Fluval C4 HOB, heater and lid with LED light. I was also sold a bunch of other stuff....including the clownfish and two SMALL pieces of dry live rock. I was visiting my parents after my husbands celebration of life when the boys decided to get a new fish tank, so the lfs is not one I will go to again as they have not been helpful over the phone. There are NO stores near me, but an AMAZING store about an hour away. No leaks, but my water changes get water on the outside of the tank which drip down to the stand. I was thinking I needed some sort of water barrier.
Honestly, ANY advice is appreciated. It sounds super stupid, but after my husbands death a few months ago, this tank is the first thing that all of us are excited about. I REALLY want to do this right.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Thank you for your comments.
Additional info....
The tank kit I bought is a Fluval 45gal Bow front. It came with the stand, a Fluval C4 HOB, heater and lid with LED light. I was also sold a bunch of other stuff....including the clownfish and two SMALL pieces of dry live rock. I was visiting my parents after my husbands celebration of life when the boys decided to get a new fish tank, so the lfs is not one I will go to again as they have not been helpful over the phone. There are NO stores near me, but an AMAZING store about an hour away. No leaks, but my water changes get water on the outside of the tank which drip down to the stand. I was thinking I needed some sort of water barrier.
Honestly, ANY advice is appreciated. It sounds super stupid, but after my husbands death a few months ago, this tank is the first thing that all of us are excited about. I REALLY want to do this right.
OMG, I can't say how sorry we all are to hear about the loss of your Husband :)hearts:)

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank has a plastic frame that raises the bottom glass off the stand......nothing goes under the tank.

If the tank is simply flat bottom, then whatever the manufacturer recommends.
Foam leveling mats are for rimless, (frame-less) tanks only. To reiterate what @redfishbluefish said...NOTHING should go between the tank and the stand on your model tank! While the foam mat helps level a rimless tank, it could actually damage a framed tank since it is designed to sit on the frame and not the glass itself. The added pressure to the glass could damage the tank and cause it to crack or leak at the seems.

I have two of the same tanks as you, (Fluval Premium 45 gallon Bow Front Kits) and I understand the pain of water changes. Since the glass is bowed in the front it seems I spill a lot more than a normal tank and the high gloss black stand shows water spots incredibly well. I have just gotten used to having towels on hand to wipe any spills as they happen. I also have the convenience of having Tile in both locations where my tanks are setup, but if you have carpet, maybe putting some towels down on the floor will help.

I initially bought both these tanks as Quarantine tanks for my bigger fish with the intent to convert them to full display tanks after I got through QT. I have one now running as a freshwater planted tank and one as a fish only saltwater tank. I have around 40 lbs of sand as well and do not think you need to remove any as previously recommended. Just be sure to vacuum the sand a bit during water changes. I have about 60 lbs of Live Rock since I do not have a sump to add Marine Pure bricks and I run two of the Fluval C4 filters that it came with, (I bought an additional one) and a powerhead to circulate water better.

I can upload a video in the next few days to go over my setup if you think that well help. Just let me know.

My condolences on the loss of your husband and is it not stupid for you all to get excited over a fish tank. This site is full of people who get excited about them and it is a great hobby to get into. It can be such a rewarding experience to sit and watch the marine ecosystem you created in your own home grow and thrive. I wish you and your family the best and hope it all works out with the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back