What type of posts annoy you on this site?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that annoys me the most is when people ask for information or tell the OP to do something that they have posted they have already done. It appears they read the first post and then reply without reading anything else. For example someone will be having RO unit problems and post about it. If they didn't post it in the OP, they will be asked their tap tds. They will respond with a number. Then they will get asked that same question 2 or 3 more times in the same thread by new respondents. It has to be really annoying to be asking for help and keep getting asked the same questions in your own thread. It is like calling the help desk and getting transferred to a new person that just asks the same questions.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if any type of posts annoy you guys on this site?

For me, it's when people ask help to identify something, and send a picture with blue light only cranked to the max, and the picture is dark. It's like over 50% of the ID threads. Maybe it's just me and I can't filter out blue light or something.

What kind of coral is this?? Blue_(film).jpg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that annoys me the most is when people ask for information or tell the OP to do something that they have posted they have already done. It appears they read the first post and then reply without reading anything else. For example someone will be having RO unit problems and post about it. If they didn't post it in the OP, they will be asked their tap tds. They will respond with a number. Then they will get asked that same question 2 or 3 more times in the same thread by new respondents. It has to be really annoying to be asking for help and keep getting asked the same questions in your own thread. It is like calling the help desk and getting transferred to a new person that just asks the same questions.

Yeah but the door swings both ways and most of the time it is the other way around! The OP asks for help, people give the help. The OP skirts around trying to find an easier way. The respondents keep posting the same thing until many give up.

Here is a perfect example that was one of last nights emergency posts.
I gave him all the info he needed in the first reply, but it took many other posters to get him moving.
Need Help !!
I have found many people are not just asking for help, they want help that is easy to do! They are not interested in the first post that is not saying what they want to hear, they are waiting for someone to come along and tell them an easier way to fix the problem. The Classic example is Algae problems. You can tell most people the best method of getting rid of it, but that takes a lot of work and time. The only help that most people are interested in is one that comes in a bottle and can be poured in.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my greatest pet peeve are reefers who post they're near the edge of quitting and post a wrecked tank and then proceed to accept or decline each offered fix, somehow the evaluation skill works independently from the tank's current condition, cannot yield but will break down anyway is king of pet peeves. by page six tank still looks the same

second on the list of annoyances said the quorum: unsolicited tank fix advice

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but the door swings both ways and most of the time it is the other way around! The OP asks for help, people give the help. The OP skirts around trying to find an easier way. The respondents keep posting the same thing until many give up.

Here is a perfect example that was one of last nights emergency posts.
I gave him all the info he needed in the first reply, but it took many other posters to get him moving.
Need Help !!
I have found many people are not just asking for help, they want help that is easy to do! They are not interested in the first post that is not saying what they want to hear, they are waiting for someone to come along and tell them an easier way to fix the problem. The Classic example is Algae problems. You can tell most people the best method of getting rid of it, but that takes a lot of work and time. The only help that most people are interested in is one that comes in a bottle and can be poured in.

I agree 100% with you. Mine was just on the stated facts. I constantly see someone post my tds is 300 at the tap, 25 after the membrane, what could be my issue. Then it always seems you will have someone ask what is your tap tds. It just seems like too many people respond without actually reading all of the original post and especially any subsequent posts.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's some irony in your reply
How so, it's just a reply to a comment. I haven't once complained or whined about this thread. I just think it's funny that others can complain on a members build thread that don't participate. That member is one of the kindest on here and all on that thread are friends. Please, carry on:D

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say anything really annoys me. But when someone is asking what is going on in the tank and they say "all my parameters are good." Then someone like me asks what those parameters are and what the numbers are and they still say "in normal range". I get that a new person asking for advise doesn't realize that they may not know what "normal range is" and it doesn't tell people anything about the tank but after someone tells you we need to know what the numbers are, post the numbers! Ok maybe it does annoy me a little.

Last edited:

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it annoys people don't have to go on that thread. Members happen to be friends on that thread and it's one of many things that make R2R great. God forbid people have friendly conversations in a members build thread.....
I agree with you. I use my build threads as a journal, I don't expect people to reply to it or like it though it's nice when they do. I like having a place I can write down when I acquired something or changed something because I can never remember on my own.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the influx of threads about one topic (ie the indo ban). We don't need 10 different threads about the same exact topic, because its usually the same members citing the same responses they did the previous threads. Also, the very basic beginner questions. Yes, I get it. We were all beginners once and this forum is to help everyone, but I find it hard to help someone that won't helps themselves. How do you expect to gain knowledge in this hobby if you aren't willing to do your own "research" and learn, like "my salinity is ### is that okay?" I know not every question is exactly the same as the last, but you need to learn and be able to take care of you tank with general "emergencies" without having to come to the forum and post a question about it. The more extreme/unique emergencies, then yes post here

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

8EWVAsp.jpg

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten my list of pet peeves down to just one thing. People putting inappropriate fish in small tanks, then asking if it is okay. If you have a 40 gallon tank that is great, but don't ask if you can put tangs in it.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten my list of pet peeves down to just one thing. People putting inappropriate fish in small tanks, then asking if it is okay. If you have a 40 gallon tank that is great, but don't ask if you can put tangs in it.
There was a post a couple weeks ago with someone with a 30 gallon having a yellow tang in it. When it was called out that they will want to get a bigger tank for it, they thanks us for the unsolicited advice.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if any type of posts annoy you guys on this site?

For me, it's when people ask help to identify something, and send a picture with blue light only cranked to the max, and the picture is dark. It's like over 50% of the ID threads. Maybe it's just me and I can't filter out blue light or something.
So it's not just me? I thought there was something wrong with me lol. What I don't get is how some people look at those pics and still make an ID.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When someone has a serious issue, and the response is “oh let me tell you about this unrelated serious issue that I had”

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that getting advice from people that have already done something or knows something from experience is better and easier than looking it up in a book or article. But that’s just me because most often I don’t have time to sit and read a book. Plus u can’t ask a book questions about things you don’t understand. ( no such thing as a stupid question only a stupid answer)
I get what you are saying, but take a look in the hitchhiker forum sometime. There can be five threads asking what kind of starfish is this. Would it kill someone to look at one of those posts before they post? If people read the pinned thread there, probably 90% of those questions would be answered. I think a lot of people don't utilize this site the way they should.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you are saying, but take a look in the hitchhiker forum sometime. There can be five threads asking what kind of starfish is this. Would it kill someone to look at one of those posts before they post? If people read the pinned thread there, probably 90% of those questions would be answered. I think a lot of people don't utilize this site the way they should.

That might not be practical because there are probably hundreds of different StarFish or Kinds of Coral X. You would have to scan through all those posts to find a picture that matches.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.6%
Back