What was your first aquarium?

EagleEye121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g back in ‘06 or ‘07. HOB skimmer and bulky equipment! Started as a FOWLR and added a few easy softies with mixed results. Favorite thing was a long tentacle anemone and clarkii clown… I could watch that relationship all day!
As others have said, get the biggest tank your budget will allow. More water volume = more stability and more room for error. Plus it will scratch the inevitable itch to upgrade for a little longer ;)

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Max Nano. Great little tank, and I would recommend it for anyone new to the hobby. My only issues were the small ATO (ended up replacing it with a Tunze), the lack of a refugium (I could have probably installed a HOB if I wanted to, though), and the top third of the back glass being a slightly different color and material. Overall, great system and if I were to set up an AIO nano again, I'd go back to it.

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea max E 260. I kinda went all in on a bigger tank for my first one. Went the AIO route like most do. from that experience I’d say not to do the AIO route on a tank much bigger than 30-40 gallons. Nutrient export on bigger tanks with the small back sump is pretty hard. I found the skimmers that fit back there weren’t as effective and a fuge is a lot harder.

if I did it again I’d either go for something smaller AIO like a 20 Innovative marine or go a little larger with a sump like a Red Sea Reefer 170.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 110 gallon 4 foot long tank in 2005. It had an Ebay special, makeshift highbay metal halide light. Too tall to reach the bottom, though. I suggest a 40-75 gallon to start.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was a 40 gallon freshwater in 1981. I was 10 years old. I kept freshwater tanks for the next 20 years. I left the hobby for almost 20 more years and returned to start my first reef tank in 2018 which was a 32 gallon cube. I love the "cube concept", but the actual available real estate (IMHO) is overrated. I feel that stacking fish on top of each other leads to competition and aggression.

After about a year that cube suffered a catastrophic failure, however, props to the manufacturer who stood by their product and provided a free replacement.

Five years later, twenty days ago I got a 25 gallon lagoon tank wet. Cycle is complete but in the early stages and so far, I like it.

I guess my advice would be, "it is a journey".

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12g Aquapod with stock lighting - which is basically same as a biocube today. It worked great tbh... for softies and LPS.

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon tall (standard rimmed tank) with an hob filter, a heater and a compact flourescent light fixture. Mixed softies, a clownfish and a blue damselfish. Probably 2 inches of sand (forget which) and 20 lbs of live rock carefully stacked into a wall with prayers it would never fall down. It was pretty, though. Had it up 3 years and then upgraded to a 55 gallon long tank with two hob filters, a bigger heater, and a T5 light fixture. Had that one 8 years.

lelolai15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 gal tank that I got at Walmart when I was in middle school (fresh water). I later got a Biocube 24 great tank to start off with and learn. Doesn’t break the tank all in one (AIO). I returned to the hobby one year ago and got myself a Red Sea max nano. I am enjoying it. It’s a bit challenging due to swings in levels. Still trying to dial everything in. But great quality tank and low cost in the sense of water changes, dosing, feeding due to low bioload etc.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300L 72" tank with a wet/dry filter, Red Sea Berlin skimmer and 3x 400W Iwasaki MH. The tank went through many gear upgrades and it taught me a lot about reefing. I upgraded to a 700L (~190G) tank in about 2005 and have gone through several tanks between then and now.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • None.

Votes: 34 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%

Back