What would make a good members only store?

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean In A Box is contemplating opening its doors as a "members only" facility on a local level to the Portland metro area. I am wondering what ideas you as a consumer would have that would make you feel that if you belong to the facility as a local member, what you would want to see in place that would make you feel as though you had an exclusive membership.

I wasn't going to open to the public, but customers keep showing up at my door out of the blue and I am basically turning away business because I told the LFS's if they supported me that I would not open to the public. But with that being said very few buy on a regular basis so to keep my agreement with them I figured I could be a COSTCO of corals so to speak and offer a private membership for a small annual fee. I have many ideas already, but would like to hear some of your feedback. Please keep your ideas "positive" and on topic. This thread is not for bashing the idea, but rather to help me make it a good one.:eek:oh:

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, thats accually a pretty good idea. Id pay an annual fee to know I can cherry pick corals, then again Id be there every other day :D

As far as competing w/ the LFS, I doubt Joe Blow will want to spend $80 and up for one piece like some of us. They're looking for bread and butter stuff which isn't really what you provide...

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you would get a discount card and a t-shirt which would offset the cost of the membership......LOL

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that for a membership to work, its going to revolve around communication with your members. Giving them exclusives and "in house" special pricing. I know with costco or sams club, if i'm going to put down 50 bucks for a membership, I expect to save that much and more over the long haul of the membership. But in turn that means more business and inventory turnover if you can get it to work and your members to come back. Plus less shipping and hassle for you. Also, you can have as bigian said, allow cherry picking of orders before they hit online, that would help. Just throwing out ideas, its late...

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're nowhere near me but it would be a good idea IMO. I would run with it as long as you offer incentives. "Members Only" corals would be a great start, the LE ones, etc. If those dont sell, you can then unload em on the website or LFS. Perhaps allowing local clubs to meet at the store if there is a brick an mortar shop (sorry I dont know if there is, just tossin out ideas) would also spread the word and hold specific sales at those times to the members. Again is all comes down to this would have to be something seen as a "smart investment" and with the way cash is nowadays, its gonna have to be a pretty sweet deal for people to cough up extra cash. Sales, rebates, giveaways, raffles, etc. Would all be bonuses. Whatever it takes to get the biz nowadays! Good luck! Cool idea, hope it works out!

anomie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherry picking corals is a great idea. :) I would also consider stocking some dry goods if you have the space available and offering them at prices available online. There are times when I need something and can't wait for shipping so I pay what the LFS's charge which kills me when I can get it 60% cheaper online.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With every membership comes a Rhizotrochus typus :D

...Even I'll come to Portland.

Last edited:

sly fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the idea of cherry picking... i agree that the contact thing is important...lots of emails with pics... also im sure people would be attracted by the opportunity to viewe new shipments before they are put online

dry goods are tricky because they take up space and money has to be invested in them, and if you arent selling them online your turnover wont be great BUT you could do special orders at a discount on dry good, so you could undercut the local suppliers, make a small profit but still bbe making a profit, and its an incentive!

Dennis210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the ideasounds fantastic. And to keep them coming back and feeling like they are part of something - try two things - let them bring in frags that are worth selling and reasonably priced (in this case they need something for the frag and you need something for selling it) & set up either a posting wall or at least a photo album. Let them post pic's of there tank's.
In both regards now when they come in with a friend they can say this is my tank or hereis one of my frags. It really helps i this hobby when you feel like sharing what you have done to have a place to do it!

Dennis

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pay to do it in an online format :). I'd love to be able to cherry pick good corals and have them shipped to me.

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dry goods would you stock most of? Maybe a top 5!!!!
Cherry picking corals is a great idea. :) I would also consider stocking some dry goods if you have the space available and offering them at prices available online. There are times when I need something and can't wait for shipping so I pay what the LFS's charge which kills me when I can get it 60% cheaper online.

OP
OP
oceaninabox

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definately like the message board sharing idea.
Actually the ideasounds fantastic. And to keep them coming back and feeling like they are part of something - try two things - let them bring in frags that are worth selling and reasonably priced (in this case they need something for the frag and you need something for selling it) & set up either a posting wall or at least a photo album. Let them post pic's of there tank's.
In both regards now when they come in with a friend they can say this is my tank or hereis one of my frags. It really helps i this hobby when you feel like sharing what you have done to have a place to do it!

Dennis

Seahorsedreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were doing that locally in a couple of places. I could ask what system they had in place and what worked and what didn't if you would like.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean In A Box is contemplating opening its doors as a "members only" facility on a local level to the Portland metro area. I am wondering what ideas you as a consumer would have that would make you feel that if you belong to the facility as a local member, what you would want to see in place that would make you feel as though you had an exclusive membership.

I wasn't going to open to the public, but customers keep showing up at my door out of the blue and I am basically turning away business because I told the LFS's if they supported me that I would not open to the public. But with that being said very few buy on a regular basis so to keep my agreement with them I figured I could be a COSTCO of corals so to speak and offer a private membership for a small annual fee. I have many ideas already, but would like to hear some of your feedback. Please keep your ideas "positive" and on topic. This thread is not for bashing the idea, but rather to help me make it a good one.:eek:oh:

I think if you do this you will alienate your local businesses I do think its a great Idea but if you told locals you wouldn't sell to the public then you shouldn't cant have it both ways. Either you don't sell or you do I honestly would do what makes the most business sense if local store's arnt buying then go with your idea thats just good business, I would pay you a visit thought about while I'm here now but figured your busy lol.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dry goods would you stock most of? Maybe a top 5!!!!

1. Test Kits
2. Powerheads
3. Impellers for Powerheads
4. Calcium Reactor Media
5. Salt

These are things almost everbody uses. You might not make any money on the salt but then you will save your customers shipping expense.

Back