What Wrong With This?

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tissue seems to be decaying. Happened overnight it seems. My other frags are just fine!

1B13C9CF-401B-4EE8-BB63-60EDD6C37090.jpeg

OP
OP
dbjonesjr

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check nitrates, I had same problem and found out nitrates had spiked to about 80
Thanks I will test them when I get home. I’ve actually been dosing nitrates to get them up. Maybe I overdosed last night?
Additionally, I accidentally broke it off the plug a few days ago and it fell off the rack. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will test them when I get home. I’ve actually been dosing nitrates to get them up. Maybe I overdosed last night?
Additionally, I accidentally broke it off the plug a few days ago and it fell off the rack. Maybe this has something to do with it?
That’s more likely to have caused it. It probably got irritated/stressed from the break, the fall and re-glue. I wouldn’t go looking for a problem unless the majority or all your sps looked like that.

OP
OP
dbjonesjr

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Its gotten worse overnight. It wasn’t any worse late last night than yesterday morning but it has progressed to this since 10:30 PM yesterday. Any new opinions? I don’t want my other SPS to catch some kind of disease.

6C4D368D-A44B-4BEA-915E-D8168F2E2C5B.jpeg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many factors into RTN. your rock looks new, how old is the tank? Do you test for basic parameters like Alk, Ca, Mg, NO3? In my experience rtn like that has to do with water chemistry. High NO3 and PO4 usually brown corals out first and then if not fixed, the tissue peels away. I've had acros RTN for no apparent reason. I've had acros get stung but survive. I'd check your water parameters first and go on from there. Too many variables in acro unhappiness.

I received a huge shipment of acros yesterday. In one particular case, a purposely fragged piece from the main frag of a "mini colony" I received died, but the main "mini colony" didn't. The majority of the frag was brown and peeling, but I could physically see the zoox expelling in the tank from the frag in the mucous it produced. I could see tealish pigment being expelled- needless to say I tossed that frag.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip it and then frag it.
Update: Its gotten worse overnight. It wasn’t any worse late last night than yesterday morning but it has progressed to this since 10:30 PM yesterday. Any new opinions? I don’t want my other SPS to catch some kind of disease.

6C4D368D-A44B-4BEA-915E-D8168F2E2C5B.jpeg
Dip it, Frag it, or toss it. Looks like it got a rtn infection from the stress.

OP
OP
dbjonesjr

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many factors into RTN. your rock looks new, how old is the tank? Do you test for basic parameters like Alk, Ca, Mg, NO3? In my experience rtn like that has to do with water chemistry. High NO3 and PO4 usually brown corals out first and then if not fixed, the tissue peels away. I've had acros RTN for no apparent reason. I've had acros get stung but survive. I'd check your water parameters first and go on from there. Too many variables in acro unhappiness.

I received a huge shipment of acros yesterday. In one particular case, a purposely fragged piece from the main frag of a "mini colony" I received died, but the main "mini colony" didn't. The majority of the frag was brown and peeling, but I could physically see the zoox expelling in the tank from the frag in the mucous it produced. I could see tealish pigment being expelled- needless to say I tossed that frag.
The tank is newer but it’s running off a system that has been up for over a year. It’s a 40, 90 and Ruby 36. My params are all in line. My phos would be considered high for some (normally .06-.10 but other than that alk at 8.5, nitrates close to 0, calc and mag levels normal. I talked to the guy I got frags from and he said just throw it out and he’ll cut me a new one.

OP
OP
dbjonesjr

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frags look pretty new with no new encrusting growth. Everybody loses one here or there. I would not sweat this if this is the only one.

Thanks. Only one that is encrusting is the smooth skin acro. I forget what he called it.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is newer but it’s running off a system that has been up for over a year. It’s a 40, 90 and Ruby 36. My params are all in line. My phos would be considered high for some (normally .06-.10 but other than that alk at 8.5, nitrates close to 0, calc and mag levels normal. I talked to the guy I got frags from and he said just throw it out and he’ll cut me a new one.
@jda is spot on. It probably got stressed from new environment, breaking and re glueing, which made it vulnerable to a bacterial infection, which is usually fatal. Your parameters look great and 0.06 isn’t high. It’s ideal for sps frags. Don’t cause potential problems by looking for a problem that doesn’t exist.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time I've had a stylo go south in my tank was when nitrates were sky high. Stylo was fine at undetectable nitrates too.

What are PO4? Are there any stray elements in the water? RODI quality?

OP
OP
dbjonesjr

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time I've had a stylo go south in my tank was when nitrates were sky high. Stylo was fine at undetectable nitrates too.

What are PO4? Are there any stray elements in the water? RODI quality?

PO4 like mentioned is .06 to .10. Like mentioned and what many others have said at this point I’d guess that it got stressed when introduced to my tank after being popped off the plug and reglued. I’m not concerned at this point unless something begins happening to my other frags.
Edit: Didn’t address this but I am using good quality water. Yes I use clean RODI.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back