Whats a few good macro types to add to a reef tank itself ?

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a couple types of macro to my reef tank to break up the corals looking for a more natural look for my tank ...also in return having them also be a food source and a nutrient reducing livestock any suggestions I'm new to the whole macro algae thing but i hear nothing but good things about having it in your system!

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank SPS coral, Soft corals and LPS coral or mixed with all three?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red Caulerpa Racemosa in my display. I am not sure how it got there but I really like the look. The fish and cuc keep it very trimmed down tho. Would be really pretty if everyone was not eating it hah

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red Caulerpa Racemosa in my display. I am not sure how it got there but I really like the look. The fish and cuc keep it very trimmed down tho. Would be really pretty if everyone was not eating it hah
going to have to look that up i like the reds and blues not big into the green trying to go for the brighter colors and stuff that doesn't grow to out of control thanks for the input!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine is a mixed reef with macro algae. I have red titan ( which is the slang name, I think its a halimeda of some type), and red grape caulerpa. Neither are overly aggressive and both are attractive.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've thought about adding macro to the display. Could be cool!

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine is a mixed reef with macro algae. I have red titan ( which is the slang name, I think its a halimeda of some type), and red grape caulerpa. Neither are overly aggressive and both are attractive.
i really like the red grape nice look to it i was looking at some of that didn't know how aggressive it was growing cool talks for input...i see you has a royal gamma ******* how does he treat his buddies in his tank is he a bully? i have one myself and he tends to bully my shrimp and my lubbock wrasse i hate to get rid of him i really like his colors but man is he the biggest butt!

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about adding macro to the display. Could be cool!
i thought so myself you don't see a lot of people adding to display tank i think it gives off a nice natural look kinda completes the reef and gorgonians also i want to start looking into gotta have a good even mix of things

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really like the red grape nice look to it i was looking at some of that didn't know how aggressive it was growing cool talks for input...i see you has a royal gamma ******* how does he treat his buddies in his tank is he a bully? i have one myself and he tends to bully my shrimp and my lubbock wrasse i hate to get rid of him i really like his colors but man is he the biggest butt!
I have had royal grammas before so I knew to add him later since my tank has mostly gentle peaceful fish, predominantly blennies and gobies. When I did add him it was with an ocellaris clownfish, a firefish goby, and a carpenter wrasse. There were already 9 fish in the tank so he is apparently intimidated enough not to exhibit any aggression. My aggressive fish is an orange spot combtooth blenny and he mostly only bullies another combtooth linear blenny. They are evenly matched so although there are occasional skirmishes no one seems to get hurt. They each seem to have their own territories but I should not have added 2 combtooth blennies in a 56 gallon tank. If one of them begins to suffer I will move the aggressor to the the 30 gallon fuge that is connected to the system.

Best of luck adding the macro algae. I find it really completes my tank plus it takes up a lot of nutrients so less water changes are necessary. It is home to pods and allows me to have so many fish in a moderate size display tank and I really like that. I am a fish and invert first person and the coral, macro algae and rock are there to make an attractive home for the animals.

Gordonm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a small box out of egg crate and put some macro in it. Hoping it will help reduce some nutrients. Also have some dragons breath on a clip that's hanging from my top screen.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 100 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back