What's Killing my Fish?

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to be losing newly added tank inhabitants. In the last month it's been two Anthias, one Splendid Dottyback (actually not really new), and a Dragonette Blenny. No bodies, just gone....

And then this morning I find my Red Breasted Anthias dead laying next to one of the anemones. Looks fine except he has a hole drilled under one gill (postmortem?)

65G Display w/ 40G remote sump, water parameters are good and no observed aggression. Pretty peaceful tank unless someone ventures too close to the Clowns anemones or the Shrimp's cave.

The remaining tank inhabitants are:
3 Anemones (3 -4 in)
1 Lawnmower Blenny (2in)
2 Oscellaris Clowns (2in)
1 Christmas Wrasse (1 in)
1 Bi-color Dwarf Angel (2 in)
1 Longnose Hawk (2 in)
1 Japanese Pistol Shrimp (2.5 in)
1 Pincushion Urchin
2 Green Emerald Crabs
1 Strawberry Crab
3 Red Hermit Crabs
1 Black Brittle Star (10 in)

Any guesses at the culprit? (at this point I'm thinking the JPS).....

Last edited:

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lack of more info will leave this thread unanswered. Post actual parameters not just “good”. timing on deaths in relation to new additions also would help. Some images of the tank also would help and the dead fish if possible. What’s size system is this?

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lack of more info will leave this thread unanswered. Post actual parameters not just “good”. timing on deaths in relation to new additions also would help. Some images of the tank also would help and the dead fish if possible. What’s size system is this?
Thanks for the suggestions...

Water Parameters
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: .75 ppm
Phosphate: .02
Salinity: 1.28 (little higher than normal)

I'll have to get a current pic of the tank and unfortunately no pics of the fish. All except the one this morning simply disappeared. I wasn't smart enough to take a pic before the burial this morning... :-(

OP
OP
V

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question is whether you QT or not
Not normally, I usually just drip acclimate and throw them in. I do have another Coral Beauty currently in QT as she got ick a week ago (treating with Cupramine). I haven't noticed any of the others with the same....

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back