What's so bad about asterinas?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not a problem -- until they become a problem. IME, once the population gets larger, they will start to go after zoanthids. Particularly the expensive ones in my experience.

For a while, I was picking off 50 or so each night with long tweezers.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Some are bad and munch on corals. Others wrongly assume they are a pest.

On every tank I've run, I've sought them out and seed my tanks with them. They're a welcome bit of the clean up crew! I only introduce stars that I know are not coral munchers- if I'm unsure, I test them in QT with a "sacraficial coral". In my experience, 80-90% don't go after coral. However, I NEVER introduce any asterinas if they're found on/around coral, only those eating detritus off the glass.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can eat coral, also they eat coralline which usually helps curb nuisance algae growth on surfaces. When I had some I manually removed them off the glass everyday until they were gone. Took about two weeks.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a ton and can hold them in a container for a day, you might try listing them on the livestock forum. Someone who wants to seed their tank or especially anyone with a Harlequin shrimp would likely pay the shipping for you to mail them (they ship pretty well in my experience).

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a ton and can hold them in a container for a day, you might try listing them on the livestock forum. Someone who wants to seed their tank or especially anyone with a Harlequin shrimp would likely pay the shipping for you to mail them (they ship pretty well in my experience).

That sounds awesome! I don't have experience with shipping live goods though. :)

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one!
CEBCB1EC-FDC4-4666-8963-4E43E335956B_1_105_c.jpeg

laurichj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on the species.

I've had some for 12+ years, they don't eat coralline or corals just detritus and film algae. They're 90% of my cleanup crew, reproduce for free and the population fluctuates to reflect the need for them. They'll intentionally go into any future tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They cant be trusted, breed like mice as they break off a leg which they grow back and the broken leg grows into a new star and the cycle repeats. I a month you can have 30 or more.
In my experience , they ate half a colony of bam Bam zoa which is slowly coming back

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They ate my zoas and strip the coralline. A harlequin shrimp took care of the hundreds I had in less than 2 months and they have not returned.

plasticsurgeonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They reproduced like crazy in my tank, ate all my coralline algae, then phos,nitrates and ammonia bumped up, a ton of coral died. I consider them pests.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back