What's the risk of me putting this fish in my tank?

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I have a tank currently with 2 clowns, a ywg, a royal gramma, and a bangaii cardinal. Would it be too risky to add something like an Azure damsel, Talbot's damsel, or Rolland's damsel to my tank?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is gonna be a wrestle mania free for all last man standing wins already. Don't see what a damsel would hurt. In a big tank it would be fine I'm sure. How large is your setup?

But, I'll take your yellow watchman if you need to rehomed him.

Wisery behind, the goby may be your only peaceful fish

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I have a tank currently with 2 clowns, a ywg, a royal gramma, and a bangaii cardinal. Would it be too risky to add something like an Azure damsel, Talbot's damsel, or Rolland's damsel to my tank?
I have both an azure damsel and talbot damsel in my tank - they're both fairly relaxed (I'd say the talbot is super-relaxed). As per above, really depends on the size of the tank!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tailed damsel ( last addition) and in well over a year he is at the bottom of the pecking order. Well behaved.
As long as it's not a yellow belly damsel, they're all generally fairly well-behaved.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's not a yellow belly damsel, they're all generally fairly well-behaved.
Decades ago I had a orange tailed damsel. It was the devil’s spawn. Took second place to the real devil, my maroon clown, a serial killer.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decades ago I had a orange tailed damsel. It was the devil’s spawn. Took second place to the real devil, my maroon clown, a serial killer.
I had an ocellaris with 25+ kills to her name...

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I've experimented with more than 1 damsel in a tank one is usually picked on as if the other is a piranha, missing fins, exposed flesh, its basically eaten alive.

In a larger tank, damsels can be real mean over their territory and while they may have more room to split apart, its borderline impossible to catch a rouge one as they teleport all over and vanish into any crevice.

The damsel I have with my mantis shrimp right now has the balls to swim up and rip food out of her claws, and she just lets it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I've experimented with more than 1 damsel in a tank one is usually picked on as if the other is a piranha, missing fins, exposed flesh, its basically eaten alive.

In a larger tank, damsels can be real mean over their territory and while they may have more room to split apart, its borderline impossible to catch a rouge one as they teleport all over and vanish into any crevice.

The damsel I have with my mantis shrimp right now has the balls to swim up and rip food out of her claws, and she just lets it.
I have... 7 damsels in my 160-gallon right now. Happiness depends on the fish and available sleeping spots. Rockscaping is key with multiple damsels.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might go for a purple firefish instead. Im really just looking for Blue/Purple/Green fish for a 40 gallon no chromis tho.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might go for a purple firefish instead. Im really just looking for Blue/Purple/Green fish for a 40 gallon no chromis tho.
Purple firefish is likely to hide a lot. They are quite shy. I'm not trying to discourage you. They are still a real treat in the tank. I just have different expectations. Those spells it spends out and about are a lot of fun and make the wait worth it. They just aren't the consistent splash of color I had hoped for. Just a different kind of awesome.

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Azure damsles in my tank they are not that bad but remember fish don’t read books so the 1 you get might turn out to be good/bad it’s always a hit or miss with fish hahaha I have 2 words for you isolation box this help a lot

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels can be mean, I have one of these guys that I put in one of my tanks due to the colors! Beautiful fish. Mean as heck until my female clown put him in check. Now he is a model citizen and doesnt bother anyone even the firefish

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the colour of the Azure Damsel
I put one in my tank and it was hounded to death. Not sure by who.
NEVER put a domino damsel in.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back