Whats the worst....

Tyrrell109

Wet Behind The Ears
View Badges
Joined
Oct 4, 2010
Messages
522
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing you have done accidentally to your tank.

After watching my favorite chalice die the past 3 days, it gave me time to think of what did it. I came to the conclusion that it was me, I was in the middle of changing salts(about 5 water changes), and decided to start removing my bioballs 5 days ago. Needless to say ammonia, nitrate, some type of spike hit the piece and a small hole one day became flesh comming off the skeleton, i placed it in low light-low flow area but it didnt stop.

I would like too hear some of your guys' accidents, so maybe someone new/old can avoid this type of thing, or others that i havent done(and hope not too :squigglemouth:).
 
When I first started with a 12g I accidentally dropped a test tube vial with the chemicals from a test kit in the tank and killed my inverts.
 
OUCH! hate those experiences. not sure if I can recall one thing in particular but recently, I didnt read a new test kit properly and ended up with alk at about 16DKH! melted down several corals.
 
once i forgot to add h2o conditioner after a water change that sucked i killed all my anthias those were the first to go then i relized that sucked
 
Don't take offense at this post.

That utube video is bogus and only good for a good laugh, totally full of false information.



JR,
 
Ummm. Added a Nem after the tank had been set up for 2 weeks without doing my research. The LFS told me I'd be fine..... LOL it turned into a giant ball of slim and killed everything!
Lesson Learned. alway, always ALWAYS do research first!
 
I was cleaning the glass on my tank and sand was in the water column,somehow(i heavy crushed coral,sand), and as i was cleaning down the sand got caught and i made a nice 6 in. scratch on the front side of my tank:cry:

Im extremly paranoid over scratches on my fish tanks! and now i have 1 right on the front!

This is the worst ive done recently. . .
 
Last edited:
Wayyy back I wanted to try saltwater about 13yrs ago, I bought some Salt, a live rock, took it home. Filled up the 10g with tap water, dumped the box of salt in (you know, the therapeutic freshwater kind lol!) and then tossed the live rock in. Didn't know you had to measure (box said 1-2 teaspoons per 10g or something like that). I seen all of these little critters flee from the rock and then die withing seconds. I thought to myself "this is going to be harder than I thought, maybe I should read up on it". :xd:
 
well ive done a couple of things one my fault and the other partially my fault....i let the ro run in my sup to top off and well...about god knows how many hrs later came back to a salinity of 1.016 and prob ten or twenty gallons soaking the carpet. the other partially my fault for not having a generator, power went out for 5 days from snow and i lost about $3000 worth of livestock in both tanks....now i got me a big generator...lol
 
I think the worst I have ever done is I was doing a FWD on 5 or 6 little Maxima clams and I forgot about them overnight.... Learned to do no more late night tank maint that night....
 
had a 10gal nano reef and was havin heat problems so I turned the heater off and forgot.....the next day a girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to air out the house because it was nice out.....55 deg
 
well ive done a couple of things one my fault and the other partially my fault....i let the ro run in my sup to top off and well...about god knows how many hrs later came back to a salinity of 1.016 and prob ten or twenty gallons soaking the carpet.

glad im not the only only one. i lost every thing here :/

073.jpg
 
@ corndog.... those types of mistakes hurt. I am sure you learned from it and if your on here I would imagine you're on your way back.

I setup a 55 for all my livestock so i could bake all my rock in the display, basically start over. Well to make matters worse when i mixed the salt i must have been really lazy because in using the hydrometer i had a few missed calcs due to bubbles on the needle and ended up with a WAY low salinity. Two ornimental shrimp started getting labored breathing and died. Tested again and found the problem.... added some salt quick to help save the rest of the livestock. Ended up only losing the two shrimp. All my other fish made it without issue. Test, Test, and re-Test before putting anything in any tank.
 
i was moving and had a 90g tank running a calcium reactor.i shut the tank down and moved the corals into a 30g holding tank.however i never dialed the reactor down.i ended up nuking about 2k worth of sps with water that was at 15dkh :(
 
did a noob move. used mortons salt to bring up salinity........almost killed my prized orange hammer......
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new