What's up with my Ocean Tang

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's thin but he's eating. These spots are getting worse. I don't know what it is or how to treat it.

Need a little help with this.

What is it?
How can I treat it in the tank cause I can't catch him to get him out for treatment.

20180122_174901.jpg
20180122_174950.jpg
20180122_175102.jpg
20180122_175040.jpg

I've had him for about 3 weeks now. He was healthy looking and had weight when I purchased him.
I did not QT because I don't have a QT tank big enough for him.

I really could use a little help and guidance.

BrandonR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong, but looks like Ammonia burns to me. what are your parameters?and recent losses?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 amonia and no losses.

I've had this tank up and running for over 4 years. It's established and all parameters are good.

No other fish are showing anything wrong.

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you recently receive him? Ammonia burns don't show up for a couple days usually, so it could have received it in shipping

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get as much food in him as he will eat. If he's eating well feed him multiple times a day of whatever he seems to like the most to get him to chunk up and get his immune system stronger and he should be fine in the long run.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is in real bad shape, I’m thinking you have a myriad of issues:

1) an infection or two
2) an internal parasite, that fish is not getting enough nutrition (any white stringy poo?)
3) related malnutrition
4) I think I see ich spots on the fish.

If you don’t remove this fish, it’s going to be a goner it needs to be treated in a quarantine tank. I’d do an acrifvaine dip or reef rally dip followed by the trifecta of antibiotics (kanaplex, metroplex, and furan 2).

I’d treat the internal parasites by soaking food in metroplex and focus (to bind the metroplex to the food). This can be done outside of a quarantine but will not be as effective on the external infection(s). It may well not eat in this condition, making the qt the only way to treat internal parasites and infection.

Give the fish access to enough nori that it can feed for 2/3 the day.

After 10-14 days in antibiotics, treat for 30 days in CP or copper at fully therapeutic levels.

During this time, soak foods in selcon or zoechem for added nutrition and keep water clean.

For a new qt dr tims bacteria in a bottle will help kickstart the cycle and hopefully prevent ammonia from killing the fish, if doses properly and in a large enough tank.

@Humblefish @melypr1985 @Maritimer @ngoodermuth

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely see the bacterial infections. They are pretty bad. If you can get him out I really do suggest getting him into a Rally bath and QT with antibiotics. I agree with Ford... if he doesn't have intestinal worms I'll eat my hat. Feed the metroplex and add vitamins to everything he eats. Lots of nori every day to fatten him up.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was a bacterial infection.
I can't get him out the tank.

He eats. Can I soak goid in melafix and Sheldon? Will that help?

Everything else is in good shape in the tank. Is rather not treat the whole tank but if I need to I will.
Should I do melafix and pimafix?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any rally but I can get some from a lfs tomorrow out the next day.
The bath won't happen cause I won't be able to catch him.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was a bacterial infection.
I can't get him out the tank.

He eats. Can I soak goid in melafix and Sheldon? Will that help?

Everything else is in good shape in the tank. Is rather not treat the whole tank but if I need to I will.
Should I do melafix and pimafix?
Melafix or pimafix aren’t going to help this fish, and that fish needs removed to survive.

Yes, feeding the antibiotics is better than nothing but won’t be enough, most likely. I’d take apart the tank and drain water as needed to save the fish. I know it’s a pain, I’ve been there and done that several times.

5altkreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know anything at all about your setup, so maybe Im wrong. But I feel that you are misrepresenting a little bit. You CAN catch him. He is sick fish trapped in a box. It might take alot of effort, but its doable. Maybe put some of your rock in garbage cans, totes, or whatever. Use some egg grate or something to act as a partition, putting rock on one side and moving closer until your able to get him out.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1516680392007630682323.jpg
I've got a lot of rockwork and he may be sick but he's still vey fast. I also have a large carpet in the tank and I don't was th him to swim into the carpet trying to get away from me.

A lot of my rockwork won't move. The fish can swim into several hiding places I can not get to.

I think my best bet is to try to treat him in the tank.
I don't want to stress him more than necessary and i don't want to chase him into a hiding spot he won't come out of.

He swims and he eats now. I may be wrong but I think it's his and my best bet of treating him.

I soaked noir, seaweed extreme, mysis shrimp and new life spectrum in melafix and Shelcon. He's swimming and eating the food.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a lot of rockwork and he may be sick but he's still vey fast. I also have a large carpet in the tank and I don't was th him to swim into the carpet trying to get away from me.

I understand the problem, but I can easily say that without treating that infection, he's not going to make it long. You can go ahead and start feeding metroplex + focus in his food, but the infections need attention asap.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider trying this method to catch your tang. After the tank has gone dark for a couple of hours, use a small bright narrow beam flashlight to find the fish. The light will mesmerize the fish. Move slowly with your net. The fish will just sit there. Hope this helps. You really need to get that fish into a qt. Big fan of Ruby Reef Rally.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back