What's up with my Ocean Tang

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a lion fish. Could that be sting rash on the tang? Soak his food in meds and vitamins and feed him numerous times a day till he turns around.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of melafix, pimafix, e.m. general cure and t.c. Also ruby reef rally.

I know melafix and pimafix can be used together but I don't know what's the best course of action at the moment.
Emergency had me treat the food with melafix. Once in the water, I decided to treat the tank so I may be limited in what else I can treat besides pimafix.

Can I treat t.c. or e.m.?
Should I?
Should I treat with just melafix or add pimafix or a combo of those and t.c. and or e.m.?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a lion fish. Could that be sting rash on the tang? Soak his food in meds and vitamins and feed him numerous times a day till he turns around.

Its not impossible but I have my doubts to it being a rash from the sting of the lionfish.
Lionfish are hunters but they are quite passave and non aggressive.
All fish in my tank leave him alone and don't really swim too close to him.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the problem, but I can easily say that without treating that infection, he's not going to make it long. You can go ahead and start feeding metroplex + focus in his food, but the infections need attention asap.
Agree entirely. And no, ineffective treatments aren’t going to help. :(

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What meds do I need?
What treatment?

I tried to get him out last night but he just darted into a deep hole in the rockwork.

He may be sick but he's still a fast and strong swimmer and he does not seem to be a dumb fish. Just a sick one.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

What meds do I need to treat him? I don't mind treating the tank to make sure it does not spread even though no other fish are showing signs of infection.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Humblefish...

I will have to treat the DT but at least I know what to treat with. I would rather treat in a QT but 1. I don't have one big enough and 2. I can't get him out the tank even if I did.

If I remember correctly, ll the meds are reef safe right?

My local LFS suggested I skim out the melafix. He suggested I use Ruby Reef Rally an combination with Metroplex.

Is your suggestion better to treat the D.T. or his?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked the meds up. Seachem says to remove all inverts. Will Metroplex and kanaplex kill off my snails and crabs? If so I think I will have to go with the Rally.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't treat with any of those medications, including Rally, in your reef. Melafix is basically tea tree oil, and natural, so it shouldn't interfere with any medications, but I still would not dump anything else into your reef. And I doubt the melafix will make much difference with the severity of that infection either.

If you can absolutely not catch the fish, you can try soak his food and hope for the best. You can use Kanaplex, bound to food with Seachem focus, and Metroplex again bound to food with focus. I would do each separately at least a few hours apart. So maybe the Kanaplex food in the morning and the Metroplex food in the evening. If you have General Cure, you can use that in place of the Metroplex. However, I'd prefer to use the metroplex personally, as praziquantel is not one I like to mix with other medications if I can avoid it.

For food soaking, you can use the following ratios:

1 scoop Kanaplex + 1 scoop focus + 1 tablespoon food

1 scoop Metroplex + 1 scoop focus + 1 tablespoon food

OR

2 scoops General Cure + 1 scoop focus + 1 tablespoon of food

When feeding, turn off all pumps and feed very small amounts at a time to ensure the fish eat almost all that's fed, rather than it mistakenly feeding your inverts. You'll want to feed for at least 10 days, regardless if he appears to be getting better.

Important to note, I agree with the others that your best chance at helping this fish is to remove it to a QT and treat the water accordingly. Humblefish posted my treatment of choice. This recommendation is a last-choice option, but there is a very good chance it won't be enough to save him.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my lfs. They have an orange shoulder tang that has the same thing my ocean tang has.

They said it's flukes. They said to treat for flukes and the spots will slowly go away.

They highly recommend ruby reef rally.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes may have been the precursor, but your tang definitely has a (possibly secondary?) bacterial infection now.

Ruby Reef Rally contains acriflavine & aminoacridine (two antiseptics), so that will help with the infection. But not flukes (if he has them.)

To check for flukes, perform a 5 min FW dip as outlined here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is new.
I turned the skimmer back on and re started the carbon reactor to get the melafix out.

I noticed my carpet spewing this white stuff out. I did not pay it much mind but a few hours later, I came downstairs to check the skimmer and the whole tank is milky. I can hardly see through the water to the back of the tank.

What could possibly be happening?
15167571751031064362699.jpg
1516757205512773227839.jpg
1516757245850949324527.jpg
15167572687111365079305.jpg

All fish seem to be fine except the ocean tang but he's no worse.
All corals seem to be fine. My bta seems to be fine.

Any ideas what's going on?

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is new.
I turned the skimmer back on and re started the carbon reactor to get the melafix out.

I noticed my carpet spewing this white stuff out. I did not pay it much mind but a few hours later, I came downstairs to check the skimmer and the whole tank is milky. I can hardly see through the water to the back of the tank.

What could possibly be happening?
15167571751031064362699.jpg
1516757205512773227839.jpg
1516757245850949324527.jpg
15167572687111365079305.jpg

All fish seem to be fine except the ocean tang but he's no worse.
All corals seem to be fine. My bta seems to be fine.

Any ideas what's going on?
Yes, melafix isn’t meant for reef tanks. It basically just irritates things, IME.

Again, you need to remove the fish and treat before you mess up your DT.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting the melafix out via skimming and carbon.

Do you have anything helpful to say?
Do you know what is happening with my carpet?
Do you know what he's spewing into the water and if it's harmful to anything?

I have tried to catch the ocean tang but it's proving to be extremely difficult.

I don't have anything large enough to qt him in.

Do you have any good advice for that?

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your help but I need answers to what I CAN do. Getting the fish out the tank is not among the things I can reasonably do.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting the melafix out via skimming and carbon.

Do you have anything helpful to say?
Do you know what is happening with my carpet?
Do you know what he's spewing into the water and if it's harmful to anything?

I have tried to catch the ocean tang but it's proving to be extremely difficult.

I don't have anything large enough to qt him in.

Do you have any good advice for that?

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your help but I need answers to what I CAN do. Getting the fish out the tank is not among the things I can reasonably do.

ngoodermuth has already given you a very concise overview of how to help him without removing him from the tank.
For food soaking, you can use the following ratios:

1 scoop Kanaplex + 1 scoop focus + 1 tablespoon food

1 scoop Metroplex + 1 scoop focus + 1 tablespoon food

OR

2 scoops General Cure + 1 scoop focus + 1 tablespoon of food

When feeding, turn off all pumps and feed very small amounts at a time to ensure the fish eat almost all that's fed, rather than it mistakenly feeding your inverts. You'll want to feed for at least 10 days, regardless if he appears to be getting better.

I'm sorry for the ordeals here, but we are trying to help as best we can. I don't know specifics about the nem, but it does appear that it's very irritated from the medication previously used. You'll probably find better help and answers for the anemone in the anemone part of the forum.
As for the QT issue.... you can always go to walmart and get a tote or sterilite container... or even a brute trash can to QT him in. It's a cheap, easy option. Heck, even a large-ish cooler would work if you could get a filter on it.

KIRBLIT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to ruffle any Feathers, but I feel that everyone has given you all the advice that you need to treat the fish and now it's on you to implement what they are telling you. Again, I'm not trying to upset you but you are asking questions and getting answers but basically neglecting to do anything with what they are saying to you in regards to treatment. You cannot effectively treat your fish in your dt so you need to remove it to a qt/hospital tank to proceed, and yes, you may have to disassemble your tank to do it.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check your tank for ammonia to be safe. Keep your carbon running, or possibly pick up a poly filter if you're able. Keep your skimmer running, if it's overflowing simply remove the cup, but keep it running for aeration. Add an extra powerhead pointed at the surface, if available. Maybe prepare a decent-sized water change, again just to be safe.

It's probably just a bacterial bloom, but definitely keep an eye for ammonia and make sure you have plenty of aeration. Bacterial blooms are generally harmless but can deplete oxygen in a tank without sufficient water movement, smothering the inhabitants.

I don't know a ton about nems, but I imagine they would be fairly sensitive to changes in water quality and could react.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the advice and I will continue to try to catch him.
I agree with the advice given but I may not physically be able to do it.
15167657233721550822044.jpg

This hole is where he runs to among other holes in the rockwork.
My rockwork does not move. I physically can't move it. It's solid.

I asked what might be going on with the carpet and the reply I got seemed antagonistic.

Believe me. If I could get him out the tank, I would chance putting him in a 10gal to treat him.
I just can't get him out even if I drained the water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back