Whats wrong with this Yellow tang?

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just trying to help my younger brother out today, hes recently joined the hobby when another brother quit and gave up his tank.

Hes learning quickly but also super excited and his dad took him to petco today and bought the roughest yellow tang I have ever seen that wasnt already dead.

Now he is VERY active, swimming all over the tank and doesnt seem to be breathing too hard, but his face is very pale, scratches across his nose.

Petco did say he was housed with Angel's for a time so could it just be battle scars?
20200614_180930.jpg
20200614_180942.jpg
20200614_180925.jpg
20200614_180912.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pretty good case of HLLE going on there. Great quality foods + vitamins (highly recommend using Beta Glucan see below), along with low stress environment.

OP
OP
Rijodan

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So keep him low stress, hes only in the tank with 2 clowns and very open tank, feed him high quality foods and with time hes good?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So keep him low stress, hes only in the tank with 2 clowns and very open tank, feed him high quality foods and with time hes good?
Keep an eye on the clowns. They are from the damsel family and can be incredibly mean. Very common for R2R members to report that their clowns bite them when doing tank maintenance. We even had one member report that a clown bit him on the eyeball while he was bending over the tank doing maintenance. Yikes!
But yes. Pristine water quality. A wide range of high quality foods. For tangs, nori soaked in vitamins is awesome. And a low stress environment (tank big enough, water flow, other fish that are not causing problems, etc. are all good things to watch for in your tank. But it will take time for the condition to improve.
Awesome your little bro helped out this fish in need. Awesome :D

OP
OP
Rijodan

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, do you have any recommend place to buy that beta glucagon or just amazon itt?

OP
OP
Rijodan

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like is this amazon post a good buy?

Amazon post here

And offtopic, with my qt being set up for my next tank would this be something I should add to my qt feeding for extra support during that time?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, do you have any recommend place to buy that beta glucagon or just amazon itt?
Lots of different BG available on the market. I like this one, from Amazon, as it is algae based.

How to make a "fish smoothie"
Place 6-8 different frozen fish cubes in a container in the fridge. Let the cubes "slump." Mix and strain off the excess liquid. Mix the cubes + 1/2 capsule of BG + a bit of RODI or tank water + Seachem's Focus (if want a firmer mix to feed directly to the fish's gut). The mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days. My fish love it.

IMG_2165.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back