What's Your Controller?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there have been many threads covering everyone's system controllers of choice. I thought it would be beneficial to members, new and old, who are looking to incorporate controllers in their systems to have one thread that would cover members choices and the Pros/Cons of each system.
----------
I just recently upgraded the controller on my CadLights 70G Artisan II from a DigitalAquatics RKE to a Neptune APEX Gold Classic. The DA RKE was a very robust system that controlled all functions of my system. Reliable and straight forward in programming.
I wanted to take my game to the next level and now have a Neptune APEX. I wanted the ability to remotely monitor and manipulate system functions not available with the RKE. I've added a WXM that has given me excellent control of my Radions and Vortech equipment and the ALD module to receive water leak alarms. I also enjoy the capability to automate my system to react to alarms by manipulating equipment effected by such alarms. I now feel more comfortable about leaving the house for extended periods and having the capability to trend data from changes I make to my system.
That's me, how about you?:)

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my apex Temp probe, double junction lab grade pH probe, ALD module with a solid surface detector, my break out box controlling my ATO. Also turn my fan on to cool the tank when the temp goes too high. My next buy is going to be buying the Lab Grade ORP probe. With the WXM i would just go with the reef link because i hear that it's more customizable when it comes to changing the pump modes, and setting the times, as well as having the radions be more controllable. This answer was also told to me by one of the Bulk reef supply employees.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Apex also. I have a VDM and WXM module along with pH and temp.

One day I want to get an industrial PLC (either Siemens or Allen Bradley) and create my own aquarium controller. That will have to wait until I have a much bigger space to play in.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using a GHL Profilux . Very will made and easy to program controller. I have used Apex controllers in the past but find the GHL to be very well built and enjoy not having boxes mount everywhere to do a task. I am an industrial electrician I do PLC programing so the interface for the GHL is more set up in programing the way I am use to. Looking forward to seeing the new Profilux 4 coming out soon that I saw at MACNA. I control water changes and all my chemical additions using 3 GHL Dosers.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a Reef Angel + and have been very pleased. It will support anything you can think of, is relatively cheap, and thus far, has been perfect in regard to reliability (only been running about five months now). The only other I would consider is the Profilux because of the single box which makes for a tidy install while maintaining a good track record in regard to reliability.

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7527.JPG
IMG_6579.JPG

I use a controller based on a raspberry Pi that I built myself, called DOSEmate.
It controls dosing pumps, ph, temperature, ato, Reef angel extensions,including power outlets and leak detector. It also connects to Altas sensors for pH, ORP and Salinity as well as cameras and wave modes for my wavemakers.
I can customise the programming via a web interface and access it remotely.
Apart from heater, chiller and LEDs my tank is fully controlled by the single computer.

It also automates my semi automatic water changes

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an Apex Gold with pH, salinity, ORP, and two temp probes. Looking to expand it to a WXM and currently use the KessilLink cable with Amazon 3.5MM extension/daisy chain cables for my A160WEs. Eventually I will have it control dosing when I am at that stage.

I run the Tunze osmolator auto top-off separate from the Apex to prevent any issues with power/disconnects/fat finger programming. Also looking to add float switches as a redundancy check against the ATO for low/high sump levels in case the Tunze fails (unlikely).

Future plans? Expand the controller to take care of my freshwater planted tank as well!

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an Apex on my 20gal mixed reef with a WXM for my MP-10s, a LSM, breakout box for my ATO (also controls the ATO for my 3.5 gal pico), and my LEDs are tied into the variable speed ports for dimming. I love the ease of using Fusion for controlling everything and the ability to use multiple different feed modes is nice as well.

I also use a RKL on my 26gal frogfish tank. I like the price point of the RKL and I only needed something simple on this tank. I use it for more accurate temp control as well the feed mode here when I'm using the tongs to feed the frogfish.

Finally, I have a second RKL on my 3.5gal pico. I use this one for primarily the same reason as the one on the frogfish tank. This was the leftover one from when I upgraded to the apex on my 20gal.

One day I may try and run all on the apex but they are so spread out around the house that may be difficult. Plus if one craps out, I have spares :)

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a RKL on my 210 that I've had for years but with it's limits I still have to manually perform a lot of tasks. I will soon be upgrading to a Profilux 4 and GHL dosers.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a fan. They have some drawbacks but if you are aware of them and limit the usage I think you can avoid some disastrous scenarios. Also avoiding placing it in places that are subject to excess humidity/drips/splashes help :)

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GF-Signet gave up on all the false reading's of hobby controller. Orp changing numbers when you unplug a power bar .
I can control lights with a simple timer . To much going on and more people overdosing using the dosers . just my 2 cents .

joeyrm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RK elite and am now switching to the apex 2016. The leading reason for this is the remote functionability of the apex over RK

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RK elite and am now switching to the apex 2016. The leading reason for this is the remote functionability of the apex over RK
Why not upgrade to a Archon head unit instead. It is totaly web based. I can change things from my phone while I am not at home if I want. The Archon head unit is compatible with most of the RKE/RKL modules. The NET module is not compatible at this point but since networking including wifi is built into the head unit there is no need for that module.

Back