When Is euthanasia best?

Breefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pair of radial filefish setup in a 32 biocube for about a year and half now with no problems other than jumping incidents. I originally had a mesh top that one of the file fish got stuck in when he tried to jump. I was lucky enough to save him and replaced the top with a glass top I had made for the biocube. Now the issue is that he has jumped again and gone face first into the glass and injured his means to float. I'm pretty sure he has injured his swim bladder. I have put him in a mesh breeder box so he doesn't get swept by the current. He hasn't eaten anything when he usually eats three times a day. I'm worried he is slowly starving to death. Is there any chance he can recover from this? If he can't recover Is it the humane thing to euthanize him instead of him wasting away? My fish are my babies and I just don't want him to suffer if he doesn't have to.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only euthanized when I was 100% sure the fish was suffering and had no chance of survival. I used clove oil. A few drops makes them fall asleep. After that add 5x more the dose and it will stop their breathing

OP
OP
Breefer94

Breefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only euthanized when I was 100% sure the fish was suffering and had no chance of survival. I used clove oil. A few drops makes them fall asleep. After that add 5x more the dose and it will stop their breathing

Thank you for replying. I've never been in this situation fortunately but he seems okay for now.. if he gets worse I'll take your method into consideration. Thank you.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for reference I euthanize when I'm more like 75% to 80% sure the fish is in fatal condition, because every fish will die one day and I would rather err on the side of less pain than more.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a puppy that was dropped on its head (accidentally by a child) and none of us knew what happened except that it stopped eating and was crying for several days in a row. Eventually it passed away after going into spasms and seizuring. It was terribly sad. I am not sure what we would have done if we knew what had happened to that puppy, of course taken it to the doctor who could have X-Rayed it and then told us that putting it down would have been best.
It's really sad thinking about it now... I forgot that it went into seizures in my hands.

I would euthanize the fish...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back