When to change RO/DI filters?

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use a BRS 4 Stage Value Plus RO/DI system.

When do you guys replace your sediment, carbon, and DI resin? Our system measures TDI before and after DI. Our TDS will go to 1ppm and stay there for months - do we replace at 1ppm?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use the color changing resin? I usually wait until the DI is 75 to 80% depleted and then replace it. If your unit has a pressure guage, I replace my pre filters either when the pressure starts to drop, or every 6 months, whichever occurs first.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello salt, I check my tds often . If it's over zero I replace the di resin ( I think one could go a litter higher that's just me) then see how long the new resin lasts. Like Crabs says if the pressure drops & di resin goes quick I'll change all the filters.
I also use 2 carbon cartridges leaving out the sediment. It really helps the ro membrane last a lot longer.

COreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like they said I change the sediment filter when the pressure drops. I change the carbon blocks when I start to detect chlorine or chloramine coming out of the wastewater line. DI resin when it turns 80-90% yellow or starts to read 1 tds on the output line. Just make sure if you wait for a TDS reading on the output that you have a second DI canister after the TDS meter probe. I’ll change the RO membrane when my TDS coming out of the membrane starts climbing and RO flushing doesn’t help.

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking this the other day! Very similar situation. My tank passed the 1 year mark in January and I've been checking the TDS readings in and out of our Spectrapure 4 stage filter monthly. Here in Victoria we are blessed with really good water. I get a reading of 20 on the input and have never seen anything but a zero on the output. Pressure is fine, albeit its always been a bit low and I've contemplated a booster pump but so far using my 10g reservoir and keeping it topped up has worked out well.

Should the filters be changed yearly, twice a year, more, or less even though output is reading zero?

Back