When to do Triton testing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after you start dosing triton elements should you get your water re-tested?
There really isn't a perfect answer to this question as every setup and every hobbyist is different. You should use your standard hobby kits to make sure the Alk, Mg, and Ca are all staying balanced and if you have the funds to send a test off to see where the other elements are at, then why not do so. (this is a hobby after-all so budget does plays a big part in our decision making). If you didn't want to spend the money on testing presently then I would wait several months and focus on the big three mentioned above. Also make sure the salinity stays on point and doesn't creep up. Focus your attention to the nutrient levels as well and let the base elementz do their thing. Testing isn't super necessary to ensure that the elementz are "working" but would reveal any issues caused by changes in equipment, foods, or large changes in husbandry practices.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I'm very happy with the elementz. After having a few consistent weeks of steady alk this past time I tested the alk had dropped. I upped my elementz from 25ml to 30 so I'll test again in a day or two and see where it's at. I try to keep my alk between 8-8.5.

The biggest issue I'm having at the moment is hair algae. My PO4 ranges consistently between .03 and .09 and nitrates are <=1ppm. I've cut feeding back to one small feeding per day.

I've been using BRS GFO and some people think the quality of that may be playing a part. Today I purchased the Rowaphos GFO that also removes silica.

As far as clean up crew goes I have a solid crew including two emerald crabs but they don't seem to touch it.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I'm very happy with the elementz. After having a few consistent weeks of steady alk this past time I tested the alk had dropped. I upped my elementz from 25ml to 30 so I'll test again in a day or two and see where it's at. I try to keep my alk between 8-8.5.

The biggest issue I'm having at the moment is hair algae. My PO4 ranges consistently between .03 and .09 and nitrates are <=1ppm. I've cut feeding back to one small feeding per day.

I've been using BRS GFO and some people think the quality of that may be playing a part. Today I purchased the Rowaphos GFO that also removes silica.

As far as clean up crew goes I have a solid crew including two emerald crabs but they don't seem to touch it.

Wow. Hair algae, even with your nitrates less than 1 ppm?

My Yellow Tang does a really good job with hair algae. I'm starting dosing the Elementz tomorrow, so I am hoping he will keep it in check. I'm going to wait a month or so before sending in my water test. I plan on sending my water to Triton every 3 months or so once the system is rolling.

Does the GFO absorb your Elementz? I had an issue with Chemipure Elite sucking my 2 part out of the water.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hair algae has nothing to do with the elementz obviously. So far I don't see any issues with the GFO absorbing the elementz.

I think that some users have had a little more trouble keeping hair algae in check after starting the Elementz. As Randy mentioned, this is probably because limiting trace elements are now present in the tank in levels that are similar to natural seawater. But, as Joe pointed out, the best way to keep algae from being a problem is probably to keep nitrate and phosphate in check, rather than relying on limiting some unknown trace element that could be important for your corals too.

Good to know that the GFO doesn't reduce the alkalinity when using the Elementz! I can't wait to get started with dosing mine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back