When we would be a good time to purchase fish?

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having trouble finding a lot of fish on sites like liveaquaria and even what my LFS is able to bring in. Seems like 65%+ of liveaquarias stock is sold out and only a couple things have come back into stock for a short while.

Just wondering if the if the winter season is just slower is why everything is low on stock and should I look again during spring/summer? I don't want to end up "settling" on fish I don't really want but not sure what's going on with the market right now.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have Boxing Day sales where you are? or some sort of 'after Christmas' sales? A lot of stuff is out of stock here too, there were some good deals after Christmas

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have Boxing Day sales where you are? or some sort of 'after Christmas' sales? A lot of stuff is out of stock here too, there were some good deals after Christmas
Yeah we had some big Holiday sales starting around November 25th to pretty much the first week of January.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I'm finding a mixed bag at many LFS in GTA...some have had a fair amount of livestock while others are almost devoid of it. Boxing Day was good to me this year though lol....new tank at a very nice discount 30% and the typical 20% off livestock was a good opportunity to replenish some CUC....

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally settled with basically all of my fish in the first year of my main tank being set up and have some pretty dull fish but as I went through the years (This is the third I think), I saw more fish so I would recommend waiting before adding the final fish. I finally found a relatively rare fish in November and I’m so glad I had room in the tank (Flashing Tilefish). I now have to finish my stock of 6 fish in my nano and am waiting for two to grow out of it (Naoko fairy and Blue Star Leopard). Certainly don’t regret my Yasha, Black Clown Goby, Pink streaked wrasse or Linear blenny. Hopefully I can keep 3 gobies (Yasha, possibly a Rainfordi and the BCG) but I don’t know yet since I also want a YHJ.

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just that time of year when fish stock is low. I work at a LFS in Ventura, CA and I place the saltwater orders. We havent been able to find mandarin gobies for the last few months. Give it till spring and things will be easier to get in, just be patient, never be in a rush to stock your tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just that time of year when fish stock is low. I work at a LFS in Ventura, CA and I place the saltwater orders. We havent been able to find mandarin gobies for the last few months. Give it till spring and things will be easier to get in, just be patient, never be in a rush to stock your tank.
Completely agree with this, I worked at an LFS over here and winter was the hardest time to get anything better than a clownfish or Angel in (Even then, the angels were almost impossible to grab).

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think nobody wants to ship fish in the US at this time of year. Cold weather is not a good time to be transporting animals (fish, corals, and verts) that like it at 80 degrees. Also and issue when there can be shipping delays due to snow and other unforseen problems. Be patient!!! Don't order fish you don't want!! It's coming up on a year for me and the entire reason I got a 500gallon tank still hasn't been completed (harem of Bellus angelfish; only have a male right now).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think nobody wants to ship fish in the US at this time of year. Cold weather is not a good time to be transporting animals (fish, corals, and verts) that like it at 80 degrees. Also and issue when there can be shipping delays due to snow and other unforseen problems. Be patient!!! Don't order fish you don't want!! It's coming up on a year for me and the entire reason I got a 500gallon tank still hasn't been completed (harem of Bellus angelfish; only have a male right now).
I wish I had a reason to have a 4’ tank other than more swim room for my previous fish. If I had a reason, it would definitely have been for tilefish (I love my flashing tile and just got hit in the face by it splashing water when I was about to feed - I’m so glad I waited for it’s fit to be over before dumping the food in).

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back