Where do you find the courage...

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To drill a tank? If it goes wrong you have completely destroyed a really large and expensive item. Just wondering why so many seem willing to,take this obvious risk and how they minimize it.

Rooster

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easiest if you can lay it flat and build a wall of plumbers putty filled with water around it to keep the drill bit cool. Or either do it outside under a water hose. Go really slow and let the drill bit do the work. If you think you are going slow enough my advice is to go even slower. Do not let the weight of the drill push through once the hole is cut.

I work with lathes and drill presses at work so I guess it just depends on how confident you are.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always double check that the tank is drillable first. I will say that when I first did it I was EXTREMELY nervous. But after I was done I realized how easy it is. The process seems very intimidating. But as long as you apply no pressure and let the drill do all the work, keeping the bit level is really the only thing you need to do. And drilling outside where you can have a garden hose running I've found to be best. That way the continuous water carrys away all the debris from drilling and you can see what you're doing better.
If you're still not comfortable find a glass company near you and see if theyll drill it for you. Some local fish stores may even do it. But I've drilled multiple tanks and it's no where near as bad as it appears :)

I would suggest the same as above, practice. Maybe buy a cheap little tank for 10 or 15 bucks and drill a test hole.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs McJones you use a hob overflow with out issues and have power outed tested. Can you shed some light on the brand name

Edit *you stopped when I was tagging you*;Facepalm

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs McJones you use a hob overflow with out issues and have power outed tested. Can you shed some light on the brand name
Before I drilled my tank I used the Eshopps PF300 on my 40 breeder. Matched with the appropriate return pump I never had issues with it loosing siphon. Ran that for 2 years before switching to my drilled setup :)

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To drill a tank? If it goes wrong you have completely destroyed a really large and expensive item. Just wondering why so many seem willing to,take this obvious risk and how they minimize it.

Rooster

In most cases the more expensive the tank the easier it is to drill. This is because a thin tank can break real easy if you put any pressure on it (you should let the drill do all the work but sometimes you end up pushing just a little). Once you reach say a 40g breeder the glass becomes thick enough the cracking is less of a concern. If you are talking about a large expensive tank a) you should have had it pre drilled, but if you hadn't decided where you want all your holes and wanted to do it yourself there is a lot less danger cracking that 1/2" glass ect.

I was a little worried drilling my zoo meds lowboy since they cheap out and use thin glass to mass produce this size tank but my holes came out nearly perfect. The most important thing to remember is to take your time.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time drilling sure did present some anxiety but after watching so many videos of people doing it and saying how easy it is you just have to go for it. When your done you’ll feel the same way.

Look at it this way.... How many threads do you see where people say they destroyed their tank by drilling it? Not sure Ive ever seen one to be honest.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Practice, as recommended by others. Go to your local hardware store or glass store, and I bet they will be willing to give you some scrap to practice with.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on an oceanic , just dont drill the bottom :) , you should be 100% fine there are many many drilled oceanic 120s out there still

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched the heck out of it, watched a half dozen videos, triple checked the glass to make sure it wasn't tempered and then just bit the bullet. Once it was over I looked at my handiwork and I think I actually said out loud, "That was it? THAT'S what I got myself so worked up over?"

I have broken a tank, but it was when I got cocky later on and didn't take it seriously enough. Do your research, keep the bit cool, take your time and you'll be fine.

Edit: I should mention that the tank I broke was a 15, the thin glass and applying too much pressure was the issue.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not as bad as you may think, I had to drill 3 holes in my 75g, after I did the first hole, my son was like " that was easy dad, can I do the next one?" I handed him the drill and let him go to town! if my 12 year old broke the tank, I would be okay with that seeing that it was a learning experience for him.
I don't know a lot, but I did mess up a lot of things learning!

do it outside and let the hose run on the bit, tilt the tank slightly to allow the washed off debris flow away from the top of the tank, take your time.... its fun.

good luck.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an old guy with shaky hands and bad nerves.
If I can anyone can.
IMG_1400-X2.jpg

Zos4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some decently think plastic and make a template for the size hole you want to drill.tape it to the tank and it helps hold the bit and make its easier.i have done 3 tanks now and no mishaps.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some decently think plastic and make a template for the size hole you want to drill.tape it to the tank and it helps hold the bit and make its easier.i have done 3 tanks now and no mishaps.
I used a piece of plywood. Drilled it with a hole saw and made a V notch in it so the water could flush the glass dust out.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, as all have stated. Get some practice glass and then just go for it.
Sure, it's very nerve-wracking to start with but you'll get used to it.

Practice on the first couple pieces, then go for it.
Key is to not go too slow or you will wear out the diamond bit before it cuts all the way through the glass.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first cuts I went fast to get used to the cutting ability and had chipping.
Next cut I went slow and it killed the bit with grit grinding away in the cut-way (is that a term?)

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chances something will go wrong and the glass plate will crack is small. I think the only real mistake could be pressing down hard while drilling it. And the obvious one, drill in the wrong place.
If it did happen, the mistake that is, the tank isn't trash. You can always replace that one panel.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back